Saturday, January 18, 2014

Gladiator




For Christmas, Jack got me the 2012 release of Les Miserables, which is a musical I saw in London and thoroughly enjoyed. I was worried that turning it into a movie would make it seem forced, but I was pleasantly surprised by how well it had been done. When Inspector Javert was introduced, I felt absolutely sure I had seen the actor before.

Jack informed me that, duh, the guy was Russell Crowe, to which I responded, "Who?" I don't recall having heard the name Russell Crowe before. Jack rattled off the names of a bunch of movies that I had never heard of that Crowe was famous for, and of course, I had never heard of them either. After the movie, I checked imdb.com (internet movie database), which listed every movie, TV show, etc. that the guy had appeared in. I had never seen a single thing on the list, and had only ever even heard of one or two of them.

To remedy my ignorance, Jack decided to show me the movie Gladiator, in which Russell Crowe starred as Maximus Decimus Meridius. I have now seen a whole two movies that Russell Crowe was in. Hooray!

I find that Russell Crowe has very distinctive eyes. They droop a little, which makes him look permanently worried or sad. I suspect that this may have been partly why he was cast as Maximus Decimus Meridius. Allow me to sum up the gist of the movie using Russell Crowe's facial expressions.

"I'm worried because we're about to fight a battle."

 "Now I'm sad because even though we won the battle, a lot of my buddies are dead. Also, I think this guy might be Dumbledore, but I'm not sure."


"Now my family's been murdered and I've been enslaved and forced to fight as a gladiator. That makes me sad."

"My buddy and I are going to win this fight. But look at all this carnage. How sad."

"The new emperor just made jokes about when he murdered my wife and child. What a jerk."


"This is my angry face."


"This definitely feels like a legit time to be worried, since that's the emperor who wants me dead."


"Oh no, I'm dying. What if I get reincarnated as a French guy?"


"What if Jean Valjean steals another loaf of bread? That might be the end of the world! What revolution? Oh yeah. That too. Allow me to sing you the song of my people."

So that's that. I do have to admit, Russell Crowe is a hottie. They played that up in Gladiator. Notice that in the pictures above, even after having been a slave and a gladiator for months, his hair and beard are still perfectly trimmed and styled.

I like Russell Crowe better as Maximus Decimus Meridius than as Javert. But then, I never really understood Javert. "Oh no, I don't understand why this guy made the decision he did. Welp, time to kill myself."



I want to see a movie with him in a role where he smiles more. That's a really nice smile.

The end.

4 comments:

Elise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elise said...

Bryan and I adore Russell Crowe. Some of my favorite movies with him in it are Master and Commander, Robin Hood, Les Mis, and he made Man of Steel bearable.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a Russell Crowe movie either. And I've not yet seen LesMiz the Movie either. But thanks for providing plotline of Gladiator. Now I can pretend I've seen it. -- I'm waiting for a remake of Spartacus, which I hope will star Eddie Murphy as Spartacus, Patrick Warburton as Marcus Crassus, Paula Dean as Varinia, and Ellen Degeneres as Julius Caesar.

Diane said...

Cathryn,

I liked this post a lot!! I'm glad you are blogging again. I feel the itch as well, but haven't jumped back in. And...get your papa to watch the Les Mis movie. On a great tv with a good sound system.