Friday, June 15, 2007

Stories... stories... stories...

Remember how I said this blog was supposed to be less introspective and more story-based? Well, it doesn't seem to be working. Nah, phooey. That's okay! I will try harder!

Okay... stories... stories... stories...

Crappit. I don't have any stories. Why do I not have any stories? I should have a lot of stories. I collect stories. That's what I do...

Okay. Well, my computer has, theoretically, been shipped yesterday or, hopefully, the day before. Which means it should get here sometime next week. The question is, will it be in one piece when it gets here? Let's see if CompUSA has learned how to ship a computer yet.

I went to the dentist yesterday. After taking some X-rays which made me laugh because the machines made funny noises, he confirmed that my wisdom are indeed growing in horizontally and that I need them taken out soon or I'll lose my back teeth as well. Of course, my mouth is so small and my teeth are so large that I probably wouldn't miss them terribly once I got used to them being gone. So I get my wisdom teeth taken out in two weeks, assuming Rye agrees to take me to Anchorage. Oh yeah, and after that, I need to get two fillings because I don't floss well enough, apparently. That and I haven't been to a dentist in three years.

Steven wants me to DM a game of Dungeons & Dragons for him. I told him I would if he could get a group together. ...The group consists of Zac, Steven, and Rye. DMing for Zac and Steven is one thing... but DMing for Rye is going to be just weird. For one thing, he's older and much more sure of himself than I am. To be honest, he intimidates me a little. For another thing... he's my boss! And it's weird having ultimate power over someone who has ultimate power over you. Know what I mean? Sure you do. Good job.

Anyway. So now I need to come up with a campaign fast. Blarg!

I've started teaching Dawnee how to do the Rubik's cube. She's doing well, but she's having more trouble with the first side than I've ever seen a student of mine have. But she's getting there. In fact, she's about ready for me to teach her the next few moves.

Oooo, here's a story! Dawnee and I were hiking the other day, and as we came back, we were talking, and suddenly Dawnee grabbed my arm and squeezed it really tight and said "Keep walking. There's a moose over there." I looked to my other side, and sure enough, there was a moose curled up on the ground about ten feet away from me. Fortunately, it didn't seem to be as startled as we were, and it lethargically watched us pass. As Dawnee pointed out, we were lucky it was relaxed.

Another day, we were hiking up a mountain practically wading through Devil's Club, which is kind of like the Alaska version of thistle, except it has bigger thorns that get under your skin and stay there and hurt like nothing else! I got swatted in the head with it twice because one sprung up from where we stepped on it or swung back from where we moved it out of the way. Poor Dawnee got a crotchful of it when I stepped off one. I got some thorns stuck in my pinky and couldn't get my ring off for two days. We had a lot of fun, though--we were going up a slope that was almost straight up. If either of us slipped, we would have been in big trouble. Good incentive not to slip, I guess.

Anyway, as we got back into town after our four-hour hike straight up, I stopped as a realization hit me. Dawnee stopped too and asked what was wrong. Wordlessly, I pulled off my backpack and took out a rock about six inches by four inches. We had stuck it into the backpack at the very beginning of our hike to knock spare branches off a potential walking stick and never ended up using it. I carried that thing all the way to the top of the mountain and back, and boy, did I feel stupid. "Shut up," I said. "I was just taking it around, showing it the sites and stuff. It was bored, sitting there on the ground in one spot forever."

Beth loaned me the Saiyuki manga. I've never read a manga before--it's an interesting experience. It's a lot like the show, but... well, it's in a book. The pictures throw me off, because they're black and white and busy and take more looking at than I'm used to when I read. But I enjoy it anyway.

That's all for now. Vanya sulie, melloneamin!

2 comments:

dubby said...

hiding on your new blog. cheater!!!

Queen Karana said...

Hee hee. Nice of you to give the rock a lift. It's great that you've found a hiking buddy too.