Monday, August 6, 2007

Stories of destruction. Well, not really.

I love my Leatherman. I discovered just how sharp it is today when I was cutting the tape off a box so we could flatten it. My hand slipped a little, and even though it hardly touched my finger, the knife cut my finger open and it started spurting blood. Fortunately, it was only on the box and in the trash can, and it didn't hurt much. But I was thoroughly amazed. With my last knife, I could have pushed the wrong side of the blade without cutting myself.

...speaking of pushing on the wrong side of the blade, my roommate went camping with a front desk girl a week ago and came back with an amusing story. There seems to be a requirement that to work at the front desk, your brain has to be small enough to rattle when you shake your head. They're rather thick-headed and generally not intelligent. But they are all happy and bouncy and giggly and friendly and pretty to look at. Dumb as posts, though. Anyway, so Dawnee was camping with one of the girls, and the girl asked to borrow a pocketknife. Dawnee handed the knife over and then turned away. She looked back just in time to stop the girl because she was holding the knife blade-up. "Whoa, whoa, stop top!" Dawnee said. "You're holding it upside-down. See, this is sharp. Here." And she turned the knife the right way for the girl. She turned away again, and looked back to see the girl holding it blade-up again.

I about died laughing when I heard this story. "See how this side is thinner? That means it's sharp. That means you DON'T push on it with your thumb." You have to laugh at people like that, because it's either that or let your brain explode as you try to fathom how they can be so dense. (Maybe I seem like I'm being a little harsh, but this on top of all the other dumb stuff those girls have pulled this summer is enough to prove their lack of brain functions.)

So we found some soft drinks in a room yesterday that I'd never tried before. It's called Diet Hansen's Soda. Tangerine Lime flavor. Hm, interesting. I figured I might as well drink one just for the sake of trying it, and for a diet drink, it wasn't bad. What cracks me up is reading the label on the can. No sugar. No calories. No preservatives. No sodium. No caffeine. No carbs. No aspartame. No fruit juice. What's IN it, I wonder?

It was hilarious drinking it after work, though. I was riding with Rye as he parked the van, like I do every day, and drinking my drink the way Dawnee showed me how. You poke a tiny hole in the top of the can, cover it with your finger, shake the drink up, put your mouth over the hole and take off your finger. The drink squirts right into your mouth, and it's pretty awesome. So I'd drunk maybe a quarter of the can already, and shook up the drink and held it up to my mouth for a moment, but nothing came out. I lowered the drink a little, disappointed that I hadn't shaken it enough... and it sprayed like crazy right in my face! Apparently I hadn't taken into account the amount of time it would take for the bubbles to fill the empty part of the can, but it was frikkin' hilarious! ...and I was kind of glad it was sugar free, because all I had to do was get a rag and wipe my face--it didn't leave my face all sticky.

Nides, like I said, paid up on that candy bar he owed me... but apparently he wanted to win it back because he tracked me down this morning and said "Okay, we make another bet. How many rooms you think we clean today?" Normally, I wouldn't have bet on something like that... but I knew it would make him feel better, and it was only a candy bar, and I still feel bad for being a jerk most of the summer. So I guessed 33. If he were smart, he would've guessed 32, but he guessed 31. Still a decent guess. Anyway, it was 28, so I owe Nides a candy bar now. Hahaha.

Vanya sulie, melloneamin. (And Karan, "melloneamin" means "my friends.")

5 comments:

Queen Karana said...

Mmmmm... candy bars. I avoided buying one today but it was so tempting because Smith's has them on sale for .25 each. I really ought to consider stocking up - but I know how bad they are for me, so I probably shouldn't. And won't.

dubby said...

Diet cola. I know I have taught you better than that. Do a search on "aspartame" and "rat poison".

If God had wanted people to drink Nutrasweet, he wouldn't have given them brains.

Queen Karana said...

Ah, but Diet Hansen's soda doesn't have aspartame in it. It has the Splenda brand of "sucralose". Not that I'm saying that's any better for you. *grin*

I found their website, because Lint Monkey made me curious as to WHAT was actually IN it also. Here's the ingredients:

Pure triple filtered carbonated water, citric acid, natural potassium citrate, acesulfame potassium, sucralose (Splenda® brand), natural fruit flavors with extracts of California tangerines & Florida and/or Colima limes.

dubby said...

I stand corrected.

Sgaterboy said...

:-D

cathryn, come to florida.

its better than alaska.