We got our first real snow two days ago. It didn't stick for more than a few short hours, but it was long enough. I can't wait to have real snow to play in! I've rarely seen snow deeper than three inches or so, and when Rye made a snow log, I about flipped out, because I'd never seen one before, though they're apparently as common as snowballs up here. I've tried making one three or four times already, but I apparently don't have a knack for it. But I'll learn. I also intend to sculpt guard dogs out of snow at the base of my porch. And maybe dig out snow caves if it gets deep enough.
It snowed again this morning. Not as deep as Saturday's snow, but it was snow. I also met Coulter's dog this morning. Coulter is a guy who works in grounds. I'd never heard him talk before today, I think. Anyway, he has a puppy, about six months old, though his shoulder is already above my knee, that he keeps locked up in his car all day. I've seen the dog in the car on occasion and felt sorry for it because what young animal would enjoy being locked up all day every day? So I met the dog this morning when he was running around in the grounds building and rough-housed with him for a few minutes before Coulter took him off to lock him up. Soft animal. I like him. Her. It.
I finally finished the Farseer Trilogy. It was just about the most depressing trilogy ever. Started out good, and just dragged you deeper and deeper into misery. I don't know whether I'd recommend it or not. I think the main reason it was so miserable, too, was because it spent a very long time talking about exactly how the main character felt about everything. It wasn't "I did this, I said that, then this happened so I did this, which caused that to happen." It was "I felt this way, so I did this, and I wasn't sure whether I should say this, that, or the other, but I decided to say that because it was the best thing to say because of these reasons, and after I said it I felt this way. I'm sure everyone else felt like this, so it didn't really surprise me that this happened. But then this happened and I felt this way, so I did this. Then, without thinking, I did that as well. I suppose that by doing that, I had caused that to happen. I suspect that the other guy was thinking this, that, and the other thing because this happened and that happened, and he said this, but I can't prove my suspicions because..." and on and on and on. Not to mention all the tragic memories and passages that had no purpose other than to make the reader feel pity or righteous anger. So I didn't like the main character very much. I thought he was whiny and annoying and foolish. I liked the minstrel and the loyal stable-hand a lot, but my favorite character, of course, was the Fool. The only parts of the book that made me actually laugh out loud were the parts that involved him. So all in all, it was a decent series, but not really an uplifting one. I probably wouldn't read it again.
On the other hand, Dave the Barbarian is a TV show I deem well worth watching. That had me giggling for a good long time Saturday. It's almost worth getting a cable splitter to hook up my TV....
Nah. Toodles!
3 comments:
lol
I enjoy your blog so much. But don't think I will read Farseer.
me too. enjoy your blog, i mean. it's interesting and fun to go on a journey with your brain.
You wrote:
"I'd never heard him talk before today, I think. Anyway, he has a puppy..."
I read/heard/saw:
I'd never heard him talk before today, I think. Anyway, he's a puppy...
Do you realize how badly that messed with my poor little brain? (A talking puppy? Cool!) Oi. I think I need to go to bed now.
Post a Comment