Saturday, April 18, 2009

Mushrooms

K, so...

I've been hanging out with this guy Peter a lot in the last week. My mom, of course, really likes to interrogate guys I'm interested in to see if they're "worthy" or something... (Parents are funny!) So I called her up while Peter was around and put her on speakerphone so she could interrogate him/embarrass me. But then, after the interrogation, Peter took the phone and turned off the speaker and went downstairs to talk to Mom and refused to tell me what he said to her! My guess was that he wanted to hear some funny kid stories that he could bring up and tease me about later just to throw me off, because he's a punk like that!

Either way, we've had way too much fun hanging out this week (if that's possible), and today we went on an actual, formal date. Well, "semi-formal." He's a biology major, and he really enjoys mycology (study of mushrooms). Apparently, the department was doing some kind of super-fancy "Survivalist dinner," which was this meal of seven courses of mushrooms!

Peter showed up wearing a tie, and the first thing he did was give me a bunch of tulips! I felt a little bit silly, to be honest, because I wasn't really sure what to do with them. Oh, right, put them in water. Right. Do I have a vase? No, of course I don't. So my hot chocolate mug is now doubling as a tulip vase.


It was a totally awesome dinner! There were--I'm not kidding--four glasses per person, and at least eleven different pieces of silverware! The servings were tiny, but with seven courses, I was too stuffed to finish the last two, even though the dessert was chocolate truffle cheesecake.

They seated us at a table with two other ladies, and we all had fun trying to remember the proper etiquette for fancy dinners that most Americans don't really have regularly. If ever.


After the meal, Peter stayed seated until almost everyone had left the room. Then he said, "Okay... do you want to know what I said to your mom the other day?"

"Um... YES! I've only been bugging you to tell me for the last four days!"

"Well... I asked for her permission, and your dad's, to ask you to be my girlfriend. And they said yes. So... would you be willing to be my girlfriend?"


I'm the happiest person on the planet right now.

9 comments:

dubby said...

Tee hee hee. Yup, he's a good guy. He rides horses, swims, dances, is learning to juggle, washes dishes, and doesn't mind blue hair!

Anonymous said...

So yeah, this is an awesome story! A seven-course mushroom meal and being asked out by what sounds like a super guy! I'm glad that your day turned out so well :D It sounds like there will be more awesome days ahead!

King Isepik said...

YAY! :)

Queen Karana said...

Cathryn and Peter sitting in a tree!

Uh... ok, that's a bit juvenile. Nevermind! But congrats!

Fat Bear in a Dress said...

In my typical, brutally honest way of speaking...It's about damn time!

Grats!

Sister Hillary Kiser said...

I'm not too mature to finish...

K-I-S-S-I-N-G!

^_________^

Sister Hillary Kiser said...

P.S. He's a cutie! ^_~

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Mycology? Mushrooms? Sounds like he's a, um, FUN GUY.... fun-guy, eh?

And he likes girls with blue hair? I've always heard that some mushrooms can mess up your mind... be careful!

dubby said...

So you get a new boyfriend and then go incommunicado for four days. This is not good.