Wednesday, April 22, 2009

okay okay okaaay

We made pumpkin cinnamon chocolate chip cookies the other day. They tasted really great, and four people made the entire batch of 30-some cookies disappear in less than 24 hours.

The schoolwork load has been insane lately, I guess because it's getting towards the end of the semester. Frankly, I would like nothing more than to take a break and curl up on the couch with Peter and a good book (I want to read the next two books in the Dark Elf Trilogy really bad!), but I have to get three history lessons done by tomorrow night so I can take the final Friday, then I have a ten-page paper due Tuesday (which I thought was due this Thursday and almost died from relief when I heard I was wrong), an oral German exam next Thursday, and another paper due the day after that. And, of course, I really want to spend time with Peter, but it's a little distracting when he studies here (not that that stops us). Fortunately, in a week and a half, the workload is going to drop drastically and I'll have time to kick back and relax. Maybe I'll even be able to find an excuse to get out of Fairbanks for a little while. Not like I'm going to run off for a week or two and skip all my finals, but I want to get out of the city limits.

Fairbanks is the first place I've ever lived where I've actually disliked the area. I think it's because it's also the first place I've ever lived (besides Antwerp) where there aren't mountains nearby. Fairbanks is in a valley, but it's in the center of a valley so enormous that you can only barely see the mountains on the horizon on very clear days, and they look teeny, despite the fact that they're some of the biggest in America. Besides that, I really like rain and humidity, and Fairbanks is a very dry desert. The snow makes it look pretty, but when there's not snow, everything is kind of a dull dusty grayish-brown. None of the trees are very big, and they're shaped kind of like toothpicks. (I'm not sure what kind of tree they are. Birch, maybe?) Besides that, it's a bigger town than I like to live in. And it gets disgustingly cold in the wintertime, but disgustingly hot in the summertime. So after I graduate, I definitely want to live somewhere that's not this town.

Anyway, that aside...

I've decided to write my paper next week on the word "ain't." Well, that and "you," and split infinitives, and ending sentences with prepositions, and all the other things that are logically perfectly acceptable in English but that English teachers preach against. Split infinitives and not ending sentences with prepositions I know are because people were trying to superimpose Latin grammar on English, which just doesn't work. (English infinitives are two words, but Latin infinitives are only one, so OF COURSE you can't split them. But it makes perfect logical sense to split them in English.) But I still can't figure out why "ain't" and "you" are completely banned from formal settings. Why ARE people frowned on for saying "ain't"? It's a perfectly legitimate contraction for "am not." Guess I have some research to do. I doubt I'll find much, though, for some reason.

Oh hey, also, I finally got my laundry done, so I have clean clothes now! :D Yay! I don't like doing my laundry, so I tend to put it off as long as possible, but it's so nice putting on clean clothes. Actually, I picked up my room a bit too, which is also a nice feeling. I would say having a clean room helps me concentrate, but it obviously doesn't or I would be doing my history instead of writing this. Except the only reason I'm writing this is because someone requested I update, since I haven't in a while. So yes. Here, have an update.

This post has been brought to you by the word flagitious.

4 comments:

dubby said...

Nice post, thank you. It's nice to hear some description of where you live since we don't have any good pictures. Despite the camera I sent (hint, hint). I hear you can study better with brown hair.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Perhaps try the Puget Sound Area in WA. Nice and Rainy,temperate climate, lots of HUGE Forests(actual FORESTS,not copses of clustered trees).Not to mention lots of nice mountains( 3 of which are volcanic) Pardon the shameless plug( giggle )

King Isepik said...

WA and OR are a couple of states that you'd really like because of the foliage, rain, humidity, and proximity to mountain-like objects. :)