But things are looking up again. Peter and I made up, I gave Andrew my D&D books so he can start putting together a campaign for the summer, and I've decided that instead of a second part-time job, I'm going to go nuts applying for scholarships. So far, I'm not having much luck, though. I found one where I could potentially get a $100 scholarship if I write a good enough essay about the book Atlas Shrugged... but it hardly seems worth the time, since I would have to acquire and read the book first, and IF I win, it's only $100, which would almost buy one textbook. There are a few contests for "innovative ideas," but assuming I'm one of the top ten or so, I would have to take off of school to travel somewhere and give an oral presentation about my idea, which I kind of want to say isn't worth it. I can't give an oral presentation to save my life, and basically, unless I'm the only person who bothers to enter, I won't get it.
I repotted Maexxie the other day and had some dirt left over. Rye's plants were in dire need of repotting, so today after work, I brought in my dirt and kept Rye company during his evening shift and helped him repot his plants. They're all happily settled in bigger pots, and I got to bring home two of Maexxie's baby brothers, who I named Loatheb and Gerald Fluffikins the Third. I put Loatheb in Maexxie's old pot (he's actually Siamese twins, like his sister), and tomorrow I'm going to go downtown and acquire another pot for Gerald Fluffikins the Third. He's hanging out in a styrofoam cup for now. I should also pick up another pot or two for Maexxie's babies. She has two or three, although they seem a little young to leave their mommy yet.

I also went on a hike by myself a few days ago, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It's so relaxing, being by yourself in the middle of nowhere, listening to the sounds of nature: flowing water, birds, the wind in the trees, distant avalanches, whatever.
I had forgotten just what it felt like being in the wilderness; it just feels right, to me. That's the only way I know how to describe it.
Lastly, I leave you with a story--
Today, I was making beds with Julia, who is a high school girl working here this summer. As we finished, I asked her to turn on the lamp that was on the nightstand by the bed. She turned the knob on the lamp: Click! Nothing. Click! Nothing. Click!
"It's not coming on," she frowned.
"Ahem, no worries. I'LL fix it!" I said, flexing my linty monkey muscles. I approached the lamp stealthily, pounced on the cord, followed it down to the plug, and discovered it was unplugged. "Aha! Here's the problem!" I proclaimed as I plugged it in.
"Oh wow," Julia said to her best friend, Breann, as I peered critically at the bulb. "I've been having so many blond moments lately."
Just then, I turned on the lamp. While I was still staring at the bulb. "AIIIIEEEEEE!!!!!! OWOWOWOWOW IT BURRRRRNSSSS!!!!!!!!"
"....Okay, I'm not that bad," Julia said.
Rotten kids, mocking my pain.
3 comments:
I would go through your school for looking for scholarships. We have an office that deals with honors research, scholarships, etc that sends out emails and such about new scholarships. I bet your equivalent will be pleased to send you any information they have. They might maintain a website or listserv, too.
Also, have you tried a site like half.com or abebooks to get cheaper textbooks? 80% of my books I can get much, much cheaper online (lab books and new editions sometimes can't be found online). Half.com is also super for selling your textbooks (they do take a commission, but I haven't tried any other sites for selling yet).
About half of my students get their books online. The only problems is that often you get the old edition, or the professor changes at the last minute, or most often of all, the books don't show up on time, so the students end up buying a book in the bookstore anyway, and then hopefully returning it when their cheap on-line book arrives.
Anthropomorphizing the chlororphytum comosums again, eh? Good thing you're getting back into the wilderness. Maybe you'll end up finding yourself out there. It seems to be taking a long time...
Mom has gone through your stuff I brought home, and now it's all organized. Not necessarily the way you'd do it, but it's quite well organized, nontheless. Can I play your french horn? I'm curious as to how Faraday will react to Nocturne in C.
I saw the Atlas Shrugged one. It was like a jillion pages long though. Definitely not worth it.
Post a Comment