Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Here ya go

Know what's fun? Driving down the river. I mean that literally, driving down the river. To get to my friend David's house, the quickest (and most fun) way to get there is to literally drive your car onto the frozen river and go down the river. It's so cool! We took Joslyn and the two kids she was babysitting that way. The kids probably wouldn't have even noticed we were driving on the river if we hadn't told them. I tried to make it exciting, but when I told them we were on the river, they were terrified! Oh well. Not like the river's all that deep. It's probably more ice than water right now.

By the way, know what's funny? Watching two men who are really trying to win the new Super Mario Brothers for the Wii play with two five-year-old kids who run around trying to get everyone killed and throwing tantrums when something goes wrong or they die or they don't get the pink Yoshi. It was going to be me, Jack, David, and Joslyn playing, but Josy gave her controller to Syrus, and if I hadn't let Nisha play with my controller, she would have had a tantrum. After dinner, Josy and I played on the kids' controllers, and the kids ran around causing trouble and fighting and making messes. Go figure. Don't get me wrong, I love kids, but trying to do anything for yourself when they're around is freaking impossible!

I spent all day yesterday cleaning my cabin because school starts soon, and I find I can focus better if I'm in a clean place. I haven't cleaned it in kind of a long time because I spent almost my entire break with Jack. As in, I would wake up to a phone call from him, hang out with him all day long until like three in the morning, then sleep for a few hours before waking up to another phone call from him. But he's finally back at work full time, and school starts tomorrow for me, so now we're going back to a more normal schedule, meaning I'll see him maybe four hours a day... and in a few weeks, I'll probably be doing homework for those four hours.

Speaking of which, I spent like a hundred dollars on textbooks for my four classes excluding the independent study ones. Yesterday, I bought the textbooks for the independent study classes (which have to be bought at the independent study bookstore because UAF makes no sense), and just for the last two classes, the books cost $315. Stupid political science class.

Know what? My dog has no respect for my face. When I'm lying down, she's all over it. Paws, tongue, whatever. "You're not paying enough attention to me, so I will fix this problem by sitting on your face!" she says.

Okay, well, I'm going to go because I have some studying I want to do. Look at this: school hasn't even STARTED yet and I'm already studying. Sheesh! What's this world coming to?

1 comment:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Your last semester.

"Don't screw it up", as they say. Pay enough attention to coursework to graduate.

My students' textbook for my course cost $229 new at the bookstore, $209 on-line, and $185 used. Go figure. That's why I don't use a textbook for the course I have control over (I don't have control over the course I'm teaching this semester -- I just say yessir and do what I'm told.)