Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sorry

My mom always taught me that it's really important to say you're sorry. I'm starting to learn what that means.

Whenever I do something that hurts or offends someone, they get upset with me. I say I'm sorry, they accept my apology, and life goes on.

Whenever someone else does something that hurts or offends me, I get upset. They get defensive and angry. I end up saying I'm sorry, they accept my apology, and life goes on.

Does anything here seem wrong to you?

The alternative, I guess, would be people like that deciding not to hang around me anymore. I'm starting to wonder whether that would really be such a bad thing.

Note: This post was not brought on by any argument with my husband. For the record.

3 comments:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

The life goes on part seems fine to me. But there is a tiny minority of the population which can't be pleased no matter what you do, so, hey, everybody has to make decisions.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

I see your puppy is wearing the "cone of shame".

dubby said...

I'm sorry. I should have taught you about those people. There are some people who are so superior to you in every way, that they are always right and you are always wrong. They aren't annoying. It is just that you need to comprehend and submit to their ultimate superiority in order to get along.

So is it worth it to get alone, or just to give them their space?

The classic example is the woman who leaves her dish in the sink at work. If you mention that this means you have to wash it in order to use the sink (because you are too responsible to put it to the side for someone else to wash), all of a sudden it is your fault because she "was going to get to it later." But it happens day after day, and later never comes. Your choice is to be a nag or a martyr. So if you are going to be a nag, be a good one, assert yourself, and make it clear that the dish goes in her purse if she doesn't start washing them.

Good luck.