Juggling club yesterday was awesome! At the beginning, there were no less than five people there. Four of us stayed the whole time, the fifth person left after a few minutes, but was soon replaced by three more people, who played for half an hour and left only to replaced by others, and so on. But the coolest part was...
I brought Katy with me to juggling practice. I had expected no one but President Rob to show up. We worked inside the Wood Center for a few minutes until Rob and Natee came... and Rob said, "So. Campus rules state that we're not allowed to play with fire indoors. So we're going outside for practice today."
I GOT TO JUGGLE FIRE!!! It was so freaking awesome! Holy crap, it makes juggling SO much more intense! We have flaming torches, flaming poi, flaming devilsticks, and a flaming quarterstaff (which wasn't there yesterday). No fireballs, which is a real shame, because I'm best with balls. Holy crap, though, that worry of catching your clothes on fire really puts the edge on your performance. I was too scared of messing up to mess up! Oh oh oh, there were also juggling knives! I didn't work with those, though. I spent most of the time practicing with the torches... keeping them unlit, because it's a new trick. Got absolutely filthy, too. Tee-hee!
I can't wait till I can juggle clubs, because that's when I get to really use torches and knives. President Rob says passing is easier with clubs than with balls, too. He also says I can be the vice president if I really want, since the current vice president is MIA. I probably don't want to, though. That would mean I'd have to be responsible.
Well, anyway... enough about that.
English was cool today. Professor Welsh had us read a hilarious news article from the Onion in which evolutionists started worshipping a mold smudge shaped like Darwin. Of course, then he assigned us an essay. I've always prided myself on the flippant, sarcastic tone I use in my papers... and the professor just had to assign the one topic that I can't be light-hearted about: the 9/11 attacks. Daggumit!
Today was the first Ethics class of the semester too. (I'll refer to Ethics as Philosophy sometimes too, because the course is Philosophy 322.) The professor, Eduardo, was out of town for the last two class periods. It's weird having professors that insist on being called by their first names... and he's my third professor here who introduced himself with just his first name. Anyway, he's from Argentina, so he's got a cool accent. He told us right off the bat that he'll be drinking a type of tea called "mate" all class. To do that, he opens this leather pouch, pours plant stuff into a cup shaped like a brown leather/steel softball with the top and bottom cut off, adds hot water from a thermos, then drinks it through a metal straw with a sieve on the end. "So all class, I will be adding hot water from here and it may look like I'm doing drugs, but I'm not, okay? It's tea. Here, see? I will pass it around. Look. See? It's tea." He also told us we're encouraged to be politically incorrect. And we're all monkeys. And after only one class, I feel like my brain's turned to mush.
Also, I swung by the job fair on my way back from class and found a job opening for a copyeditor on the school newspaper! Oooooh, money plus resume filler! I'm so applying! (Wish it was a magazine instead, though... I don't much like newspapers.)
5 comments:
Good luck! :D
9/11 Fact or fiction? Only time I heard Uncle Gary cry was when he described the sight and smell of the rescue workers removing dead bodies from the wreckage, and the 40 funerals he attended. Saying it didn't happen is like saying the holocaust never happened -- it is a flippant attitude and a great disservice to those who lost their lives, their families, and those who had to clean up the carnage.
So a month ago you wanted to be a firefighter and put out fires... now you're playing with it!?! Geez... fickle! :P
Tea? Riiiiight. Now you see why philosophy majors generally drive taxicabs or work at McDonalds. Do you remember the juggler in front of the Antwerp Kathedraal who juggled fire while on the really-tall unicycle? Half the act was telling jokes while doing it. Way cool.
For some reason, I can't get my comment to your previous post to take. Oh, well, I'll post it here.
Regarding your nervousness at your opening speech: It's probably good that you weren't perfect on your first speech. This leaves room for improvement and development. Professors usually like students who are mediocre at the beginning of the class and by the end of the class have shown remarkable improvement, even better than students who were good to start with.
Regarding the grizzly bear incident, you can tell her about my friend who killed four full-grown lions in Africa with nothing but a club. ... Of course, there were thirty members in the club!
Congrats on changing the headlight yourself. And don't forget to change the oil before winter. I've heard that in Fairbanks, winter starts in late September and lasts until mid-June.
Post a Comment