I got back the score for my speech. She rated us in eight areas with a score of 1-5, 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest. I got a 1 in all areas but "Appropriate Language" and "Vocal Presentation," where I got 2s. Apparently, the reason I got a 2 instead of a 5 in "Appropriate Language" was because I used the word "you," and in "Vocal Presentation" because I "talked a bit quickly at times." In "nonverbal support of presentation," I got a 1 because I was holding my note cards. I didn't really expect to get any 5s at all, or even 4s, but is it really fair to give someone a failing grade for holding their note cards? It's not like they were in front of my nose or anything. I had my hands resting on the lectern, holding the cards. Yes, I should get marked down, but a 1? That leaves no room for her to mark me down even more for giving the entire speech wearing a hula skirt while standing on my head and playing the accordion with my feet. Silly teacher, not thinking ahead.
Oh, she says we'll also get marked down if we have a sore throat or a cold, get up to give a speech, and apologize for coughing or being hoarse "because it's enormously distracting and if you mention it, we won't be able to focus on anything else." Also, we get marked down (from a 5 to a 1... gay...) for using the word "you" because it's informal. Lies! The word "you" is, in fact, commonly used to mean "people in general." It's a perfectly legitimate generic word! It doesn't mean you're stooping so low as to actually talk to your audience (heaven forbid). Of course, the word "he" is also a general pronoun to refer to a person of unknown gender, but we'd get marked down for using that too.
People are so retarded.
Also, we're not allowed to be excited about our topic because it's distracting. We're not allowed to be bored with our topic either, obviously. We're not allowed to make hand gestures. We're not allowed to touch the lectern. We have to have note cards, but we're not allowed to touch them either. We're not allowed to smile excessively. We have to organize our speech the way the teacher tells us to. (I loathe this, and I will rant about it if you ever get me started--she requires "Introduction: I will talk about A, B, and C. Body: Point A blah blah blah, Point B blah blah blah, Point C blah blah blah. Conclusion: I just talked about A, B, and C." If I ever become an English teacher, I will rant about that the first day of classes and mark down any paper obviously organized like that by a whole letter grade.)
So now I have to rewrite and present a formal speech on the Cookie Monster. A speech in which, if I must refer to the audience, I must use the formal "one" instead of "you." For example, "If one were to commence research on the dietary habits of Sesame Street's popular secondary character Sid Alistair, alias Cookie Monster, it would be beneficial for one to first determine his or her locative time zone. He or she would then compare his time zone to that which ABC's television channel is based in to determine the approximate time one would have to prepare his or her television set for viewing, as he or she would require the use of a television and a cable connection to view the television show on which the Cookie Monster appears. Upon clearing his or her schedule at that time and preparing the television, it would then be necessary for one to locate the channel upon which Sesame Street would be aired. If one were located in Fairbanks, for example, one would simply turn on his or her television set at three in the afternoon to channel forty-six." Blah blah blah. Oh, and I'm supposed to tell the audience why it's relevant to them.
...It's not. It's the freaking Cookie Monster.
I hate being formal. Everything in my nature screams against formality. I once had to write a talk for church when I was about fifteen years old. I ended up doing something more like a stand-up comedy act. The bishop never asked me to give a talk again.
Okay. I feel better now. Thank you for bearing with me while I whine.
9 comments:
Obscenely harsh penalties =/
You are being marked down for being mouthy and not worshipping the opinions of a teacher who insists that you do. So suck up, do what she wants, and you'll be fine. The real lesson isn't about you or one, it is about reading a supervisor's mind and doing it even when it is lame, or downright stupid. Rank has its privileges.
A colleague of mine once said that a college degree says nothing about how smart you are or even how much you learned. It says that you survived having forty different professors, most with Ph.D.-sized egos, and were able to successfully follow the forty different rules about what they wanted, and were able to figure out how to give them what they were asking for. In your case, it may be a few more than forty, but I believe you can do it. Remember, the goal is not to take the class... the goal is to PASS the class.
I've taught a year and a half of college public speaking. While that does not make me an expert, it does inform me enough to tell me that your teacher is ridiculous. Unless you're giving a speech to a room full of douchebags with sticks up their asses there's no need to be so restrictive. Points off for being passionate is particularly absurd. If my students were more passionate it would have been a much less boring class to teach.
Welcome to the real world.
Have a great day Lint Monkey.
Kathy
Rhetorical Question:
How is any of that even useful?
Geez.
I'm a public speaking instructor at a major university (ACC).
I have 40 kids in my class, all of whom give four speeches each semester, ranging from a narrative speech to an issue analysis speech.
Whoever your instructor is has no idea at all what makes for good public speaking. If you can afford to drop the class at another time, I'd tell her to kiss your ass and move on from this idiot.
I constantly tell my students to be enthusiastic and to use descriptive language. If your teacher were smart, she'd take the lectern out of the picture altogether and make you learn to speak out in the open, learning to walk around and work the crowd a bit. Your notecard should be held in your nondominant hand to avoid shaking it at the audience, and it should only have keywords on it, but there's no reason not to use it. Try using a 4x6 so you don't have to crowd your notes on there so much, and I guarantee it'll help you out with your eye contact.
Anyway, the use of you, etc., should not be penalized. A good speech is extemporaneous and conversational. A good speech establishes credibility with and a connection to the audience, and sometimes the use of "you" can accomplish this.
I don't have the time right now to go into all of the details (if you really want to know, come take my class), but I really think you are getting a raw deal from this instructor if you're indeed telling the truth (and I have no reason to think a fellow blogger wouldn't be) about the treatment you are receiving.
I rarely see the need to give a student an F unless he or she went over (or under) time, did not cite sources with information used, and/or didn't follow the requirements for the speech, etc. Well, enough ranting from me. But I just had to say something... it sort of makes me pissed off to know that someone is screwing up doing something that I take a lot of pride in trying to do well so that people can leave my class with something useful, whether they are communication majors or not.
- JD
If it's not too late, drop this section of the class and pick it up with another instructor. This one's an idiot. It sounds like they're trying to figure out just how many people they can fail in a single semester.
Just my $.02.
Wow! I can't believe how many comments I've gotten on just this one post! It is too late to drop the class, sadly. She did say that we get 60% just for standing up and saying something, at least. I doubt I'll get even a C on any speech I give in this class this semester, but it may still be possible to scrape past the class without having to retake it, and that's what counts, yeah?
Post a Comment