Wednesday, May 20, 2009

update

I've been trying to install Linux on my laptop to no avail. Ubuntu refuses to work, even when I manually download the video drivers, Fedora refuses to even start up, OpenSUSE is a 4GB download and I have a 5GB monthly limit that I'm not willing to sacrifice eighty percent of in one go, and since I got the computer five percent formatted while I was trying to get Ubuntu to work, the laptop is pretty well unusable at the moment. This is a shame, because I still have no computer desk, and using a desktop computer on the floor gets pretty uncomfortable pretty quickly. Good thing I have books and juggling gear and chores to keep me entertained.

I applied for a few jobs yesterday, and was also given the option to work an evening housekeeper shift, which seems ludicrous to me. The evening housekeeper would work from 1pm to 10pm, and would basically help the normal housekeepers in the afternoon, and then sit around doing nothing until 10pm on the off-chance that a guest calls and wants their toilet scrubbed or their sheets changed or something. Seems like a nice opportunity to get some books read or something, I guess. So I applied for a few morning shift jobs in addition to evening jobs, since it seems I have first dibs on the evening shift if I want it. The plus side is that I would get a guaranteed 40 hours a week, and possibly even night differential. The down side is that I would only get to work with my friends for a few hours a day, and they're the main reason I'm down here, a few hundred miles away from my Boy. That and because Seward is such a nicer place than Fairbanks. But that aside.... We'll see what happens.

I repotted Maexxna today in a slightly bigger, but much flimsier, pot than before. I tried to separate her from her Siamese twin, but they would have none of it. She's starting to sprout children, so I'm planning on putting the first one in her old pot for Peter. (The original plan was to separate her from her twin and put her in one pot and her twin in the other, but nooooo!)

I've had a roommate for almost a week now, I think, but her boyfriend is working here too, so I see her for only about half an hour a day. She has yet to actually sleep in here, so I essentially have my own room. She seems really nice, though, and so does her boyfriend.

Work is fun and relaxed. Nobody's fighting much yet, and we have little to do, so we can goof off a bit. Mike is nice enough, and he makes sure our work gets done right, but he's a little nuts. I guess you could say he tries too hard, but part of the problem is that he doesn't listen. He's indecisive in that he makes a decision about how to do something, changes his mind three times while he's telling you what his idea is, changes his mind again the next day, and then a day or two after that, sees someone doing it the way we've been doing it all along and says that's a wonderful idea and we should do it like that after all. It amuses me. :D

Hm, what else? I've been practicing juggling a little, but have been working on muscle memory for my old tricks rather than trying to learn new ones. I haven't been practicing as much as I would like because when I drop a ball in my room, it echoes really loudly, so I have to play outside. But it's often muddy outside, and I don't want to get the balls muddy.

So yeah. Not much to do yet. The lady at Christo's said the guy in charge of hiring would be in Thursday evening, so if I haven't heard from him by Friday, I'll go on down and ask. I'll probably have to go get some nicer clothes, though.

That's not really all there is to say, but my arms are aching from trying to type while stretched out on my stomach on a hard floor, so I'm stopping now. Toodles!

4 comments:

King Isepik said...

How old is your lappy? What model, etc? I work with people who swear by Ubuntu. Also, there are several different "versions" a developer, a student, a minimalist, etc.

I guess I need you to send me email so I can give you an assist.

:)

dubby said...

If you want a big download, I can do it and email you discs.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Just a quick note to remind you that your daddy loves you...

Terrace said...

and also your friend terrace thinks you are amazingly awesome! :D