So one of the midterms I was stressing over this week apparently isn't actually for two weeks. The research paper I killed myself all day writing Monday wasn't actually due till Thursday. But the research proposal I thought was due Thursday was actually due yesterday. At least I was right about the dates of the other midterm and the oral presentation I have to give this week. Since I have time, I'm going to redo part of the research paper anyway. Not too much of it, though, since I still have a lot to do before tomorrow. And then I can relax for reals. For a few hours. Before getting a jump on next week's work.
It's obnoxious. It seems like no matter how much I break my neck, I'm never going to be better than an A- stupid at the absolute best. All of the research papers I've written so far have come back with a low A- and the comment "pretty good." On the paper I brought into the Writing Center, the only mechanics he marked me down on were ones that the lady at the Writing Center changed. I was a little amused. I wasn't sure if I should share my amusement with the professor, because I didn't want him to think I was nagging him to give me a higher grade. I mean, I'd normally be glad for an A- on a paper, since in the past, I've put them off till the very last minute, hardly do any research, and make the paper one big joke. In fact, most of the teachers I've had before usually give me A's for crap like that, since I would get the information in there, just joke around about it.
It seems unfair that now that I'm really trying hard, citing twice as many sources as the teacher requires, and writing papers that I read through afterwards and go, "Man, this is a great paper! I'm so getting an A on this!" that the best I can ever pull off is a "pretty good." I don't want to be "pretty good." I want to be freaking AMAZING! This is unacceptable!
It's also lame that research papers, at least for the professor that teaches both the classes I have to write research papers for, aren't allowed to have anything funny in them. At all. You would think wit would earn you extra points in a research paper about a Shakespeare play... I guess I'm doin' it wrong.
....Also, my nosepiece-less glasses are starting to hurt my nose. I hope they finish my new glasses soon. :(
And if you want pictures of me in that slinky dress they made me wear, you'll have to look on Facebook, because I don't want to post the pictures here.
2 comments:
I tell my students: an honest A- is more than pretty good... it's darned good, because an A is truly outstanding. I know you are truly outstanding so an A- is sad, but it' still darned good, even if the prof merely said "pretty good". In a class of 40 students, only 1 or 2, maybe in a rare year possibly 3, students will earn A's from me. Another 2 or 3 will earn A-minus. That's around five people out of 40. I'll have around 10 to 12 B's, which I tell them is still good. A 3.0 GPA is considered good in just about all fields at the undergrad level.
Plus, you are now a senior. The work is supposed to be more demanding, harder, and graded on a must stricter basis. And yeah, isn't it a bummer that "serious academic writing" isn't allowed to be entertaining. Sigh.
So don't get discouraged, and keep up the good work. Your daddy loves you.
Eh, A's in English are subjective and kind of a popularity contest.
and I don't see the pictures.
nonsogie
Post a Comment