I FINALLY got my guitar fixed, yaaaay! Still no luck job-hunting, but I've been fairly busy with some freelance editing I'm doing as well as studying for my ham radio license and looking for a car (which I kind of want to get before I get a job).
Jack really wants me to be a boy scout unit commissioner with him, which I wouldn't mind doing, but it's not something I'm completely gung ho (sp?) about. I kind of want to get a position with the young women (12-18) at the church because most of the YW programs I've seen have been hyper-focused on getting ready for weddings and interior decoration for your house and other frivolous stuff. I kind of want to make sure the young women are taught things they'll actually need to know, like first aid, personal management, and home repair. If I were YW president, we would be learning and reviewing first aid at least twice a year. I would also have some lessons about emergency preparedness. I think I'd even spend a little money to get a couple of the little fire extinguishers and teach everyone how to use one properly, because realistically, how many young people are confident using one in an emergency situation? Also a lesson on car repair would be useful--how to change a tire, change your oil, jump a battery, change a headlight, put on new windshield wiper blades. How about how to pick a basic indoor lock in case you have a toddler who locks himself into a room and you out of it? How to manage your own finances just in case (gasp!) you DON'T get yourself married off the day after you graduate high school. A lesson on cleaning couldn't hurt either--which chemicals to use when, what chemicals not to ever mix, how to properly use and care for vacuum cleaners, laundry machines, ovens/stoves, dishwashers, etc. How to cut your own kid's hair so you don't have to pay someone else to do it. These are things that don't get taught in school but that almost everyone needs to know. The Boy Scouts learn most of this stuff while the Young Women are writing lists of qualities their future husband will have, drawing little hearts around temples they want to get married in, and designing what they want their wedding dresses to look like. Not that I think people shouldn't get married (obviously), I just think other things are important too.
2 comments:
Lol, agreed!
I nominate YOU as the next YW President! Oh.. yeah... too bad it doesn't exactly work that way...
(although there is something to be said for Personal Progress which teaches things like how to do a garden, and it has budgeting, cooking, some first aid, etc.)
Also, I've now had three friends (including a roommate) who think it's okay to put normal dishwashing soap in the dishwasher. They also try to vaccuum up bobby pins. Include those lessons, too, kay?)
hear, hear.
Post a Comment