I was looking at campus jobs yesterday and saw one for Student Firefighter. I probably won't apply for it because the hours look like they won't be friendly to my class schedule, but it seemed like a fun hobby, so today after work, I went to the volunteer fire department to ask about becoming a firefighter before I go to school anyway. Apparently, they'll take on pretty much anyone who's stupid enough to run into a burning building instead of away from it, so it looks like my chances are pretty good. I'll go in again Monday to talk to the chief.
A guy named Art gave me a three-hour tour of the fire department. I got to sit in the firetrucks, play with the axes and lights and strobes and everything, and got the full story behind all ninety of the pictures hanging on the bulletin boards. I also learned that Adolf Hitler's dog was named Wendy.
Dang, though, the first assault vehicle's a freaking monster! You have to be a monkey just to climb into the cab! Art said it shoots 1500 gallons of water per minute, so it empties itself out in 42 seconds. The tanker empties itself in about 53 seconds, I think. Something like that. Less than a minute, anyway.
This post has been brought to you by the word refrain.
6 comments:
I guess I should not be surprised.
Cathryn the juggling fire fighting pianist :D
You've always been attracted to funny-looking hats. Do they have a Dalmatian?
okay.... ems is MY thing! do you not realize this! off limits! lol ;)
DJ: everyone knows that EMS and firemen are two totally different professions. EMS people ride ambulances, and get their jollies from cutting people out of cars, sticking people with needles, putting on splints, taking blood pressure, filling out reports, getting pizza on the way back from the hospital, and hosing out the puke from the inside of ambulances. Firemen don't ride ambulances, they ride fire engines. Firemen get their jollies from playing with all the levers and switches on the fire engines control panel, wearing the funny helmets and raincoats, walking around with their big fire boots on while they wash their personal cars at the fire station, and drinking beer while barbecuing chicken. Totally different professions. You have nothing to worry about, your sister won't be stealing your job.
Are you going to juggle fire?
Post a Comment