Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Yeah, I feel better now....

My mom has an interesting post up about sunspots. You may want to head on over and check it out.

I feel a lot better after finishing my book and then wandering around campus a bit. It's so much more relaxing at 8:30 in the evening, when there's almost no one around. The sun being down helped a lot too. It wasn't dark yet, but the sun wasn't in my eyes, and it had cooled off to the point of being bearable again.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it recently, but I hate crowds. Loathe them, in fact. They terrify me, give me a headache, and make me uncomfortable, jittery, and irritable. I never used to be quite so bad in crowds, but it seems that the older I get, the more uncomfortable I get in them. Ha, can't wait to see what I'm like when I'm sixty. One person will walk in the room and I'll start spazzing out, I'm sure. Haha!

I'm enjoying having a real computer desk again. The tiny round table I was using at the resort was so small that I'd had to keep my mouse behind my computer monitor. It was rather weird using a mouse that's a foot and a half behind-to-the-right of the keyboard. This desk is big enough for me to spread out my computer, push the monitor and keyboard out of the way for textbooks when I want to study, and still have room to lean back in my chair and put my feet up. And the chair was built to rock back in, so no one can complain that I'm tearing it up.

There's a pub on campus. That amuses me. But it doesn't amuse me as much as the fact that there's also a reindeer farm on campus. I think it's on campus. It's within a mile of campus, at least.

Whistling in an empty stairwell sounds really cool. Whistling songs you played in marching band in an empty stairwell is even cooler. I wonder if this school even has a marching band. I wonder if it has a football field. Hmmm....

At the Wood Center, there's a games area with a bowling alley, a foosball table, arcade games, and a bunch of pool tables. In the Constitution building, there's a place to get smoothies. The strawberry one made me want to start drooling right there on the turtle statues. There's also an ice-skating rink. And the fine arts building is connected to the library. And I finally found my Latin instructor's e-mail address. And I'm starting to think I won't have any trouble at all chugging a gallon or two of water every day. I didn't have any problem in Utah, which is supposed to be a desert, but I swear, I've never been anywhere this dry before.

4 comments:

Dianna said...

Heehee, last semester a girl in my Biology class decided she would be healthy and drink loads of water. She was bragging at the beginning of class about how she'd already drank (proper form? I dunno....) two bottles of water. We just made fun of her when she had to interrupt the professor to go to the bathroom twice during the same class (she just up and left and the professor asked where she was going... a leetle awkward). She stopped that pretty quickly. Lol. That just reminded me of that.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Hate crowds? Hate crowds?!? Gee, I wonder where you got that gene from? ;-) Do you know anyone else that hates crowds? Especially if they are full of crying babies?

I thought perhaps I was mellowing out (Mom just thinks I'm losing my hearing!), but I've been able to tolerate the last few Sacrament meetings at church without my blood pressure going over 200. Across all my travels the past few months (or years, even) I can't get over how Mormon sacrament meetings the WORLD over seem to be noiser than the morning feeding frenzy in a rain forest. Some of them sound like a cross between a national ambulance siren competition and a group of 100 hysterical chimpanzees trying to frighten off a pack of hyperactive constipated hyenas. No joke. But I've been able to get by lately. I don't know if the kids are getting better, or I'm just going deaf.

How are the dining options at UAF? Keep in mind: you need to eat well. Fruits, vegetables, greens, colors (such as squash, corn, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, broccoli, oranges, apples, peaches, pears, bananas, cabbage, beets, asparagus, even witloof!), and meats (sausages, wurst, schnitzel, roast beef, turkey, ham, chicken, rabbit, moose, reindeer, etc.) are good for you. Pastries, pop tarts, candy, soft drinks, and other packaged stuff aren't. And how was your last dental checkup? You're still on my health insurance, so I've got a legitimate interest in your health.

King Isepik said...

So...Do you feel like a specimen yet? This is in reference to your dad's comment. :)

Glad you made it and are settling in.

Queen Karana said...

I haven't been around much lately but I wanted to wish you a happy belated birthday!