Friday, November 28, 2008

Turkey Day

I have a lot of work to get done during this Thanksgiving Break, but I goofed off all day yesterday. And I think it was totally worth it. Rob and I went over to the freshman dorms for Thanksgiving dinner. It wasn't terribly crowded, and the food was great! There was even pumpkin pie!!! :D Also, Rob and I got to play air hockey before dinner. I think I totally creamed him, but only unofficially because we weren't keeping score. My strategy for air hockey is pretty simple: hit the puck as hard and as often as possible, preferably in the direction of the other player's goal. The one time when I stopped the puck and took careful aim for Rob's goal, I missed, and the puck bounced off the far wall and slammed back into my own goal. Dagnabbit! Clearly, blind force is more effective than careful strategy. I'll have to remember that.

But it was really weird... I think this is the first Thanksgiving I've ever witnessed where I didn't see or hear anyone refer to it as "Turkey Day."

This morning, Rob and I went went to Wal-Mart at five o'clock for the Black Friday sale. Neither of us wanted to get anything, but Rob wanted to witness the mayhem. Frankly, I'm terrified of crowds and would have preferred to hide under my bed, but I went anyway. To my surprise, although it was ridiculously crowded (more people crammed into one store than live in my entire hometown), I didn't want to disappear into the ground because nobody was in a hurry, so the pushing, shoving, hustling, and bustling I usually associate with crowds was noticeably absent. Apparently, the only people who would be willing to go to Wal-Mart at a time when it would obviously be so painfully crowded are people who aren't in any kind of hurry. At all. Good thing. Oh, also, there were free donuts. So the trip was totally worth it.

Then we killed a little time in Sportsman's Warehouse and Michael's while we waited for OfficeMax to open because it had a big sale too, and Rob had a list of stuff he wanted to get. (I have to admit, the 4GB thumb drive for $10 seriously tempted me, but my current thumb drive is fine for everything I need it for.) Then we went to Denney's for breakfast. The Ultimate Omelette, for the record, is fantastic. Ridiculously expensive, though.

That reminds me... I've been wanting a Sausage Egg McMuffin for a really really long time. And those aren't really expensive. I think I'm going to get one tomorrow morning. Mmmm, McDonald's food. :D

All right, well, now that everyone knows I didn't spend my Thanksgiving starving in a gutter somewhere, I do need to turn my attention back to my Latin. Toodles!

1 comment:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Sounds like a good Thanksgiving to me. I like Denny's grand slam breakfast myself... it's usually only about $4. plus tip, of course. And, um, maybe more in Alaska. Bacon, eggs, pancakes, juice, grits, toast and jelly... everything except Belgian waffles. Oh, thanks for the song with all the horns. Lovely.