Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Die Beste Lehrerin

Speech class today was like a flashback of middle school. It's amazing how cruel and juvenile people can be. And it makes me feel bad when someone I've kind of respected insults me directly. I'm so glad that except for the final, I never have to interact with any of those people again.

My German professor, Carrie, is the best professor in the whole world. She was always smiling, and even when students got something painfully wrong, she would give encouraging comments. She got to know all of her students and their interests, and she incorporated that into the class. She also encouraged us to get creative with our homework. She never took off points if we got something wrong because we were being creative; she would just correct us, always with a smile. She did everything with a smile. I never saw her get mad or frustrated. When someone asked a question that was irrelevant or way far advanced for the class, she would always explain as well as she could instead of saying, "Don't worry about it." Also, she alone of all my professors could easily say, "I don't know." But any time she didn't know something, she would either look it up, or she would ask one of the other professors and have an answer for us the very next day.

If I ever become a teacher, I hope I can be even half as great as she is. I'm pretty sure there's not a person in the class who doesn't love her.

She had a baby this past Saturday, so she won't be coming back for the rest of the semester. Of course, "the rest of the semester" means this week and the final. (I didn't get to put on my mini-juggling show in class on Monday after all.) So for this week, she's been replaced by an older German lady named Helga. Carrie has spoken highly of Helga all semester. I admit that as far as I've seen, Helga seems like a nice lady and a pretty good teacher. But, like the rest of the class, I miss Carrie, and I'm a little nervous about the fact that this new teacher who doesn't know us and doesn't know exactly what we've covered in class will be writing and probably grading our final (especially since the final is a full 20% of our final grade).

I feel so abandoned. (drama) I can't really hold it against her, though. It's not like I can realistically expect her to have said, nine months ago, "Sorry, honey, not tonight. My future students are going to want me to hold off a month."

1 comment:

dubby said...

I was in a situation recently where I was treated like in middle school as well. Doesn't it make you happy knowing htat is really BEHIND you, but some people are stuck in that mode forever. How sad.