Friday, December 19, 2008

Interesting.....

One good thing that could be said about yesterday: It was pretty productive. I woke up at five in the morning and couldn't get back to sleep, so I made a Christmas card for my mom's friend (which I'd been meaning to work on for the last few days). Then I wandered down to the Wood Center for donuts, since my car still won't start. Ironic, that. It worked fine two days before, then I left a comment on my dad's blog post about cars saying how great my Subaru is because it never breaks down, and then the next morning, it refused to start. I was hoping it might be because it's too cold, but it was only five below that day, and yesterday it was five above, at least in the morning. Sigh.

Anyway, so I got donuts at the Wood Center, read a book for a while, then headed back home to get some work done. Called Rosetta Stone to set up an interview for an internship with them, started working on my last take-home final, but ended up chatting with a friend I haven't seen in two years or so. Oh well. I finished my final an hour before it was due. Walked down to campus again to turn it in and found a sign on the professor's door that said that I also had to e-mail him a copy of the exam in addition to turning it in. Sigh. Good thing I carry a pen in my pocket. So I scribbled down the answers on my hand in pen, which I'm sure that if people saw me with test answers written on my hand, they wouldn't think highly of me, but I didn't want to walk all the way home, type up the answers, then walk all the way back to campus.

Then I stopped by the communication department to pick up the grade for my last speech. I learned that I got a C in my speech class. It's graded out of 1000 points, and I had 788 points. I was seven points away from a B. Seven! Ugh, gay. If I had talked for 15 seconds longer on my last speech, I would have a B. Of course, being only seven points shy, there are any number of things I could have done, but it's too late to worry about it now. I was tempted to stop by and ask my professor if there was any possible way to make up the points. I didn't really expect her to say yes, but I figured it couldn't hurt my grade any. Didn't matter, though, since the professor wasn't there. Daggumit! I swear, the amount of effort I put into a class is inversely proportional to the grade I receive. It's like the harder I try, the worse I do.

Anyway, then I came back and sent my speech professor my answers, and while I was at it, I checked my UAF e-mail. And I found an e-mail saying all cars staying here over Christmas break have to be relocated to the Taku parking lot or they will be towed at the owner's expense. Oh. Daggumit. The car not starting will kind of make that complicated, now, won't it? So I called Rob up and whined at him for help. He came over to look at it and said it sounded like the engine wasn't getting enough gas. Or the starter wasn't turning enough to get the car started. Or the gas wasn't combusting right. But either way, he couldn't fix it. And a repair shop wouldn't be able to fix it before I leave, and they would probably charge me to store it for a month until I could come back to pick it up. Uuuuuugh.

So glad I have AAA. Thank you, Dad. So I called up AAA and got it towed to the Taku parking lot. I'll have to get it towed again to a repair shop when I get back. Lovely. I was planning on only having to starve for the first month of next semester. Now I guess I'll have to make that three months or so.

My own voice sounded so mopy when I was on the phone talking to AAA and the towing company, it was really really funny. I didn't know I was capable of sounding so mopy. Rob was really helpful. Since he knows Fairbanks better than I do, when the tow company wanted addresses and directions, I just handed him the phone. I have to admit, the tow truck was actually pretty cool. They turned the whole bed of the truck, rotated it and plunked one end down right behind my car, flung some chains on my bumper, put my car in neutral, then just dragged the car up onto the bed of the tow truck.

Now I don't know what I'm going to do tonight. I get kicked out of my dorm at noon today, but my plane doesn't leave until tomorrow. I was planning on just hanging around downtown overnight, but without a car, I guess that's not a very good plan anymore. I suppose I could call up Katie and see if she'll let me stay for the night. Oh well. We'll see what happens.

Dang it. Now that I think about it, I so should have taken out my camera and gotten pictures of the tow truck.... That would have been cool.

2 comments:

dubby said...

when you are reading this, you will be in Virginia!

Queen Karana said...

Ah, good ol' Rosetta Stone. Did you know that Michael & I used to work there? They've grown a lot since then. Good luck on the possible internship!