Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas!

It's only barely past midnight, so Santa will be falling into my Santa-trap any minute now and then I will rule the world! Um... I mean... ahem...

When I talk about "today" in this post, I'm referring to Christmas Eve, because it's only barely past midnight Christmas morning, so it doesn't count as being the next day yet.

Mom is apparently still determined to teach me how to cook. Yesterday, we did garlic chicken, twice-baked potatoes, and... I don't remember. Something else, I think. Today we did gingerbread, angel food cake, and chicken pot pie.

The angel food cake was by request--there's nothing in the world better than Mom's angel food cake. My sister agrees, and neither of us really celebrated our last birthday, so we had kind of a double birthday party today. No presents or ice cream, but we put 40 candles on the cake (19 for her, 21 for me) and then played Apples to Apples for like three hours. Well, I mean, we ate cake first. Not all of it. Not even half of it. But it won't last long. Everyone loves angel food cake.

Then after Mom and Dad went to bed, my sister and I--um, I mean Santa Claus--put up the ribbons across the doorway to our living room that's traditional to have every Christmas.

And now, for your viewing pleasure: Pictures! (captions underneath)

When Alaskans get bored, what do they do? Well, what else CAN they do? Sculpt ice!


DJ and I saw a UFO on the drive home from Raleigh. Weird, huh? (Insert scary music here.)


The onion volcano the chef made at Messaki. Masaki. That Japanese place. He gets to juggle, play with fire, AND play with his food, and he gets paid for it! Maybe I should look into majoring in culinary arts.


I tell you, my family's humor has just gone downhill since I was here last. Look at that dirty word on the board! Honestly, who would spell the word "crap" in 3D Scrabble? I ask you!


Just another friendly family game of Monopoly....

The funniest part was when everyone was in jail at once... except me. The turn after I took this picture, I landed on Just Visiting.

Lighting the 40 candles on our birthday cake. Even with three of us lighting candles, some of the frosting on top melted before we managed to blow them out.

That is a LOT of fire!

...which led to a LOT of smoke!

Mom and Dianna frolicking gaily. (How sweet, they're holding hands! See, they're not REALLY girl-wrestling.)

Putting up the ribbons. I mean... going over Santa's work.

Me and my cat. Just because. I love my cat.

Our Christmas tree, without a camera flash. I thought it made a coolish picture.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

2 comments:

Allen said...

Faraday... Get the Saran Wrap!

dubby said...

Cathryn, I can't teach you to cook if you don't stay in the kitchen! Where did this "we" made ... come from???