I had an interview for an internship at Rosetta Stone Monday. Unfortunately, the only pants I had with me were Carhartt's, so my parents decided to get me a pair of nice pants to wear to the interview. Dad took me to Kohl's, and I was surprised to find that despite the fact that he's never taken either of his daughters clothes-shopping before, he has remarkably good taste in young women's clothing. Better than Mom, even. And of course, he didn't hesitate to ask the other women shopping around what they thought.
Incidentally, whoever came up with the way women's clothing sizes work needs a kick in the head. Men's sizes are nice and straight-forward: you know your waist and your in-seam and you know what size you are, whatever the brand is. But with women's clothing, some brands only have even sizes and some only have odd sizes. My Carhartt's are size 6, yet they're a little loose and very comfortable. The new pants I got Monday are size 9, but they're tighter than the Carhartt's. Another style of pants we looked at only had two sizes: 1 and 7. The 1 and the 7 both appeared to be exactly the same size, and both of them were so tight that I couldn't even zip them up. And seriously, what are the numbers supposed to be telling you, anyway? "Seven" isn't a measurement! It's just a random number the manufacturer's decided to assign the pants. It appears that the numbers are relative and vary based on brand and style, which makes them essentially useless.
Weird.
Anyway, the interview went okay. Interviews like this always remind me of how terribly not-at-all eloquent I am. Also, when I get nervous, my voice gets raspy unless I talk quietly, which pretty much ruined any air of self-confidence I could attempt to project. On the plus side, I asked good questions, and I'm convinced that I'd fit the position perfectly. The internship focuses on endangered languages, and of course, there are endangered languages all over Alaska. They're working on two projects up there now. Wouldn't it be sweet if I could work for Rosetta Stone and live in Alaska at the same time?
I admit, though, it was a little daunting walking back to the room where I was interviewed. The Rosetta Stone building is five stories tall. There are a LOT of people who work there, and all of them were in little cubicles working at computers. I've never before worked in a cubicle. I've never worked with so many other people before, either. I think if I got a job working in a cubicle, I'd be tempted to get a second job doing some kind of heavy labor like construction to get out all the extra energy built up from sitting at a computer. All. Day. Long.
Of course, of all the good questions I asked in the interview, I forgot one of the most important, which was, "When can you let me know whether or not I got the position?" Well, here's hoping they'll let me know within a few weeks so that I can make other summer plans if necessary.
This post has been brought to you by the word tacit.
No comments:
Post a Comment