Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mmmm, school time again

Today was the first day of classes, and my schedule is such that I have all my classes on Tuesday and Thursday. I only have one class Monday and Wednesday (it's a five-credit class), and no classes at all on Friday. Only fourteen credits, but two of the classes are 400 level, and one is a senior seminar for which I've taken fewer than half of the prerequisites. So I'm pretty much in the doghouse already. The teacher was highly displeased, but she couldn't really do anything about it except tell me to go catch up as fast as I could. So I checked out six textbooks on morphology, syntax and semantics which I'm hoping to read--or at least skim--within a week. She asked me to go pick out two or three and take them in to her on Monday during office hours so she could approve them, but I'm hoping to be able to say, "I know this one and that one are good because I've already finished them."

As long as this teacher doesn't take off points for the strong voice I put in my essays, I'm determined to make an A in this class, even if it means reading a whole textbook every week. At least the big classes I need to read up on (syntax, semantics, morphology, pragmatics, and sociolinguistics) are all ones I'm really interested in. That should help the reading go by more quickly. Guess this means I won't be getting my hunter to max level anytime soon.

I'm also pleased that I already know a couple people in all of my classes (except the senior seminar, which only has three students). I know about half the students in my German class, and I'm taking History of the English Language with Jeremy, a linguistics major who was in my German class last semester. He introduced me to a few other people, and during lunch, we got to talk about our geeky gaming hobbies. Also, I bumped into Whatshisname, who's really big into Dungeons and Dragons and wants to put together a role-playing group this semester. Jeremy said he didn't particularly want to, but Kyle and Karla, the other two people we were eating with, were all for it. Then Jeremy conceded that maybe he would play if Kyle would, as long as he could drop out if he didn't like it. Yay! (Dad, you're not allowed to lecture me about wasting time that should be spent studying after that big lecture you gave me about the importance of hanging out with friends, playing games, goofing off, and having fun!)

Good news on the car so far. Because I have AAA (again, thank you, Dad!), they towed my car to the shop for free. And in even better news, the battery doesn't appear to be dead from freezing for a month without being plugged in! That right there saved me about $150. I still don't know what the problem is, though, since the shop said they probably won't get to it until Friday. I'm really hoping that they say it was just a loose connection in the engine or something and they fixed it in three minutes, so no charge. (That actually happened once. It made me very happy!) Or maybe they'll say, "Your fuel filter needed to be changed. That'll be twenty bucks. kthxbye."

Knock on wood.

4 comments:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

It's always fun being in class with someone you know. Given the number of people in Alaska, I'm surprised you don't already know everyone in the state already. And no, I don't think morphogs and bezadrons and bloxorgs count.

Anonymous said...

Going by the logic that you may already know everyone in the state, you would already have met Sarah Palin and her family. Or have you?

dubby said...

Aren't you best friends with her daughter's boyfriend's uncle's cousin's former next door neighbor's son's first grade teacher's nephew?

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Of course, in West Virginia, all those would be the same two people.