I got new hiking boots, finally. :) They're comfy, and they look coolish, and they're totally waterproof. Today I went hiking by Exit Glacier and intentionally stepped in a stream to see how waterproof my boots were. When I took my foot out, there wasn't any sign that I had just stepped in water up to my ankles at all. This pleases me.
The hike was nice. As usual, I went farther than I probably should have, but I made it home all right. And I got to see a marmot and three bunnies. The marmot was just kind of chilling on the trail and didn't move until I was about three feet away from him, at which point he casually sauntered away as if it had been his idea all along. All of the animals were mottled brown and white because they're still shedding their winter coats. Coolish.
I kind of wonder why it is that there aren't more religions that stress the importance of going out in nature. Aren't there some Chinese or Japanese religions that involve going out in nature by yourself? Maybe I'll study those next.
That's all for now.
Also, I can't believe I forgot to bring my camera.
4 comments:
I thought your parents always taught you that communing in nature is one of the most religious experiences there is. I don't know of any religions that agree, but I know of one where it is encouraged at camps and conferences.
Your dad has always preached that being out in nature is one of the most spiritually refreshing experiences he can experience. "Deep within the breast of nature, beats the heart of God." I don't care if there is a "religion" that teaches it or not, I know what I find spiritually refreshing and renewing, and being in the wilderness is definitely one of the best I've ever found. Just be sure to use good sense and be alert for danger. Humans pose the greatest, although in Alaska you've got a few more things to watch for. But if you're careful.... enjoy! Your daddy loves you and is proud of you.
Communing with nature is definitely part of my religion. ^___^
a little food for thought regarding "religions" and Nature.Before "organized religion" existed there was nothing but Man and Nature. "Religion" was Mans answer to questions about the natural world in which he lived because we did not posses the knowledge about the relationship between science and nature we do now. The Old Roman,Greek, European,Hindu?,and Latin/Native American references to Gods and Goddesses.Try to track down a timeline if you can and you will see how it has changed over the millennia(?).There is a TON of info out there in regards to Nature and Religion.Wade carefully!!
Post a Comment