I've been neglecting my babies lately, and while most of them don't seem to mind, Gerald Fluffikins III is getting a little droopy. His dirt was bone dry about ten minutes ago. But I gave him some water, so he should cheer up soon. I think his dirt dried up faster than the others because he's getting too big for his pot. Maybe I'll put him in a bigger pot tomorrow and see if that cheers him up at all.
Work today was pretty crazy. Normally I get bored stiff when I work evening shift, but the front desk ran me ragged today. I got to work with the other housekeepers until three, when they all left. Before they did, Beth suggested I get pictures of myself crawling out of the lint traps and make that my new blog header. We got several good pictures, and I need some feedback on which is the best, because I pretty much like all of them!







There was a wedding reception in Seabolt Hall that Beth and I helped set up for, then we unclogged a toilet and did some laundry. Then everyone left.
Normally I run up to the front desk every hour or so and they say they don't need anything and I go back and either fold laundry or try to come up with stuff to do to pass the time, like scrub the floor or wipe down trash cans or sweep the back office. But today, Chris called the minute everyone left and asked me to run a blanket over to a townhouse.
Then I went back to laundry and switched the golf carts (basically the one thing Beth/Mike asked me to do). So I took everything out of golf cart A and put it in golf cart B, and vice versa. It took a while, because the towel piles were so messy I had to refold everything.
I also bleached the mops that we use for the latrines that never get washed out because certain people don't take care of them (grumble grumble).
Then Chris called again and asked me to go do in-house on another townhouse that apparently didn't get it. I did that, and went up to the office to report that I was done and as I was walking out the door, I was asked to refill the dish soap in yet another townhouse.
I did that, moved laundry through, then realized I was really hungry. So I checked the bathrooms, then told Chris I was going for lunch.
I got about thirty feet away from the door before I got a call on my radio asking me to come back because the lady in room 411 had the wrong remote control and she wanted to know if we had found the right one or if 411's remote control was in the laundry room. Weird.
I finally got to eat lunch (or dinner, really, since it was almost 7:00 by this time), then I moved some laundry through again.
I was just about to start folding sheets when I got a call on the radio saying that they had moved 411 to a different room and I needed to clean the room they had left. Theoretically, they had only stayed one night, but they left the room pretty filthy. Oh well.
I cleaned the room and went to laundry to get started on the sheets, but before I was halfway through folding them, Leif came back to the laundry room and said the front desk had just called and wanted me to take a few bars of soap over to room 405. Wait, what? BARS of soap? We don't have bars of soap. We use dispenser soap. BARS of soap don't exist on the resort, or if they do, they don't belong to us. So I went up to the office and had to explain to the office workers why we don't have bar soap. Then I had to write a note for the people in 405 and take it to their room, refill their dispenser soap (which was fine anyway), and leave them the note apologizing for the front desk, who had told them we did indeed have bar soap. Silly front desk people.
In addition to all this, I had to do four or five loads of laundry, and had no choice but to leave a bit in the barrel from room 411, because I didn't clean the room until after I had done every other scrap of dirty laundry we had, included dirty rags from housekeeping, the office, and the bar area. I also wiped down the windows to Seabolt Hall and the tables in both Seabolt and the Bar area.
I could have left right at ten, but I would have had to leave a load of laundry in the wheelbarrow as well as a load in each dryer, and we didn't have any towels on the shelves or in the golf carts, and I knew Mike would freak out. Plus, Beth would be angry that I left laundry in the wheelbarrow, even if it was just rags and bath mats. So I stayed until almost midnight doing all the laundry. I didn't mind, though, because Mike gives me extra hours here and there, so I figure I'll just even out the hours a bit. It's worth it to do a good job.
I like busy days like this. It made up for yesterday, where I was bored to tears by four o'clock.
This post has been brought to you by the word circumnavigate.
3 comments:
Sounds like you could use a couple more hands up there..../COUGH.
Suggestion: get the owner of the gun to take you out to the shooting range and give you a couple of lessons on how to use it safely, and also let you actually shoot it a couple dozen times for practice. Firing it one or two times doesn't give you enough practice to be able to hit the broad side of the proverbial barn, and if you should actually need it, it probably won't be a situation where you can fire some practice shots to get used to it first.
I like all the photos, too. The one with the hands coming out of the dryer is cool.
Post a Comment