Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Chicken crap

I smell like chicken crap right now. And chicken corpse. Not like yummy cooked chicken, either, but like the chicken that died in a hidden corner in the chicken pen and got buried under three inches of chicken crap before we found it today when Rob and I shoveled out all the poo that a hundred chickens can make in one small coop. Too many chickens in one place = chickens eating each other alive. I helped Rob set up this massive canopy tent type of thing for the meat chickens and we moved them from the coop to the tent. But for one thing, they didn't want to be picked up, so I got beaten up by poopy chicken wings, and for another thing, they were all bloody because seriously, they've been pecking holes in each other. Ten dead chickens in the last three days, and roughly half of the chickens we moved had their backsides pecked apart, with bloody, infected, oozing sores in their ugly butts big enough to stick a tennis ball in. But now the meat chickens are in a separate place from the bigger, meaner laying hens (and the evil rooster), so they should be better. And we cleaned out most of the crap from the floor of the chicken coop and put down fresh cedar shavings, so it's now possible to walk in to get eggs without your gag reflex kicking in. But I still smell gross and have poo all over my clothing. Cindy's going nuts cleaning the house so I couldn't get in for a shower and a change of clothing, so here I am at the library, making everyone around me cringe around from my stench. Mwahaha.

I had fun helping Rob build the tent, because I actually looked at the directions, so I got to correct him a few times and feel all clever. Strut strut strut.

My interview at the Sea Life Center went all right. But they had a stack of applications about an inch thick, which I guess deflated me a little. They did promise to get back to me as soon as possible, at least.

I sent in another application today... to be a housekeeper at another of the hotels in town. I don't really want to be a housekeeper anymore, but I guess beggars can't be choosers, and it's only for a month. Still better than being a cashier. I halfway want to just go to Virginia and see if I can be a farmhand for a month or something. Get to see my sister before she leaves for Disney World. Maybe even celebrate my birthday for once. But I guess that's just silly.

4 comments:

Terrace said...

wow what is with that chicken coop..

I would not allow the chickens to live in such a bad place.. that is like animal abuse. Bleh

Not your fault, though.

Dianna said...

COME HOME COME HOME COME HOME COME HOME COME HOME COME HOME COME HHHOOOOMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please?

CaptainCaveMan said...

Lawl...yeah...dealing with the dumbest animals on the planet will do that to ya.When I had to work with them directly at the egg farm I ALWAYS had a spare set of clothes to change into,Do-rag on my head and another around my face Bandito style to guard against poo missles.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Now you see why we eat chickens. And cows. And deer. And other stupid animals. Remember that rabbit that ran under my lawn mower... while I was mowing the lawn with it?