Thursday, July 23, 2009

A lead?

I probably need new work gloves, because there's a hole in mine so big that my finger goes through up to the top knuckle. But I have about two hours worth of firewood left to bundle before I'm done for the summer, so I thought there wasn't much point. But of course, yesterday I was chucking firewood in the back of the truck and a splinter sliced my finger wide open. Yeah, the next four or five pieces of firewood I chucked were pretty bloody. It didn't start to hurt until we stopped working, I guess because I was focusing on something else. I haven't been able to get all the dirt out of it, even with tweezers, so it's stinging pretty bad today. That's okay, though. It's been a while since I've hurt myself besides having generally sore muscles. As my friend Patrick used to say, "Pain lets you know you're alive!"

Right after I'd pretty much given up hope on the Sea Life Center, they called me and said they wanted to schedule a job interview for this Monday. All well and good, but they probably won't make a decision for a few days after that, won't hire me till even later, and I'll only get in about four weeks of work before I have to pack up and go north. Do I stay or do I go? I don't have anywhere to live in Fairbanks yet. I know two people who would be willing to room with me... both guys. I don't know if rooming with guys would be much different from having brothers, but even Woodcutter Mike says it's a bad idea. Well, he said he wouldn't like his daughter rooming with guys in college, I guess were his exact words. I'm sure even mentioning this will earn me lectures from Dad and Tony and a few other people about how guys are heathens and want to stick their wieners in anything that'll hold still long enough. (That's the lecture Woodcutter Mike gave me. Several times.)

Anyway, whether I have roommates or not, I still don't currently have a place to live. Or work. And I don't have any close friends up there. I feel like I'm having to make a decision like whether I want my arm or my leg amputated. Do I want to die by fire or drowning. Bad Option A or Bad Option B. Maybe I'm just pessimistic and bitter lately. Maybe I should work on that.

You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to take the afternoon off and go write a story. I haven't done that in a while. Sorry I won't be able to post it. At least not for a while. Toodles!

3 comments:

CaptainCaveMan said...

GUILTY AS CHARGED!! Hey I admit it at least.But if you lay out the groundwork right...you can co-habitate peacefully and with minimaal worry.Just lay out the conditions beforehand and communicate.Take NOTHING for granted.We ARE guys after all.Be careful!!..I dont want to have to come up and crack some skulls.

Terrace said...

haha pretty gross lecture :P

Not everyone is like that, but I you know that.

Also yeah that is pretty pessimistic :P Only i'm allowed to be that way! (emo remember)? :P

I know things are pretty lousy right now but it won't always be that way =/

I wish you had more access to internet :/ Weird not being able to talk to you

Tony said...

Not all guys are heathens, just most...and it really doesn't matter if it will "hold still" long enough...