I suddenly find a dog in my care. She's a Siberian husky named Stormy, and she's basically the best animal I could imagine taking care of. She's a year and a half old, housebroken, doesn't chew, never barks, and has been impeccably well trained, although she was a lost dog (I only found her a few days ago), and she seems to have forgotten some of her training. She's picking it up again so fast that she has to have known it before, even though she is really smart. I've only had her for a few days, and she already sits down right away when I snap my fingers. She also knows "stay," "up," "down," and "shake." We're working on "heel" still.
She's very skinny, and I'm a little worried about her, because she doesn't eat very much. I occasionally give her table scraps as long as she's not begging for them. I'm not sure if I'm successfully making sure she gets food in her belly or just perpetuating the problem by teaching her that if she neglects her doggy food then she'll get some people food.
I have yet to hear her bark. I know she has vocal chords because when I first saw her, I heard her howl a little bit. Since then, the only time I heard her make a sound was last night when we were running and got attacked by the neighbor's dog. (This dog attacks me all the time whether I have a dog with me or not.) The other dog charged us, barking and growling like mad with his fur all on end, and Stormy growled and body-slammed him. The smaller dog ran away and we went home. Good dog!
Her only "flaws" are a) she's not very playful for a year-old puppy (although she always loves to run), and b) she thinks she's a lap dog. It's funny, because I'll be trying to study, and a 50-pound husky will crawl into my lap, lie down on top of my textbook, and insist I'm not paying enough attention to her. (I'm just guessing the weight, by the way. I may be way off.)
Oh yeah, also, she seems to like playing video games with my roommates.
1 comment:
She likes to run, eh? Borrow a laser pointer. Remember how Kip used to love to race around the yard chasing the laser pointer dot that I would "throw" across the yard for him?
Post a Comment