Tuesday, December 1, 2009

News!

Puppy's ears are recovering sufficiently for her to be causing trouble again. Puppies do NOT belong on keyboards, of piano OR computer variety! Stupid dog. She's incorrigible. She sheds a ton of fur and it gets all over my clothing, so when I go anywhere, I shed her dog fur for her a second time. It's funny eating with a friend and pulling my dog's hair out of food made and prepared in a place my dog has never been.

I wrote a research paper for the wrong class. I thought I had one due in my Shakespeare class today, but it turns out my British Literature paper was due today, and the Shakespeare one isn't due till Thursday. Fortunately, I have the same teacher for both classes. I explained the situation and he said it was fine. Took my Hamlet paper early in place of the British Literature one. Phew!

After having my car for over two years, I've finally figured out how to turn on the bass. It's awesome listening to bass lines in my music that I never knew even existed! And it's been so long since I've played music that I can hardly remember whether it's spelled 'bass' or 'base.' It's 'bass' in music, right? I'm really losing it. Darn schoolwork is killing my brain!

The student president approached me today and asked me if I had ever considered being on the student senate. No, not really. Ever. For a reason. Why? "Well, I want the entire student body represented, not just the politicians. I also want people on the senate who are humble and more interested in bettering the school and not their own careers. And I know you're active and well-connected and honest, so I was wondering if you would consider it. Normally you have to run and get elected, but elections are pretty much over, so if you agree, I can just appoint you to the senate next semester."

Wow! That's quite an honor, especially since there are apparently only twenty people on the senate. But I don't like politics. On the other hand, Adrian's right that it would be helpful to have people that aren't rising politicians speaking up. I guess it can't hurt too bad to give it a try and do my best. What's the worst that can happen?

7 comments:

Fat Bear in Dress said...

Yes, it's bass.

King Isepik said...

The worst that can happen is that you get drawn into politics. That's a field I'm out of and I really much happier for it. :)

Mike said...

I could never ever have a dog.

Anonymous said...

You need a small lint-roller. They can fit in an inside coat pocket, and all you need is a two-minute roll-over and you're (mostly) clean again.

CaptainCaveMan said...

,,,,or just get a Mexican Hairless!!...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Hairless_Dog

...however..they are fugly things and prolly would freeze up there in the boonies. Anywho..I'm happy your pooch is ok.Got one(sorta) myself.Taking care of my Sisters show Akita while shes at work.

dubby said...

Get a hairless dog and then if you get stuck in the cabin with no food, you can have a food source. They aren't real dogs, so they don't count.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

I'm on the Faculty Senate at JMU, and have been for two years. Serving on a senate in a university setting is good for a lot of belly laughs... it's great entertainment. Of course, I'm surrounded by idiots, but as long as you recognize that politics has nothing to do with the real world, and treat it like some kind of "society for creative anachronisms", or a stage play or some other fantasy, you can probably survive. Politics isn't as satisfying as playing computer fantasy games, and gets even less accomplished, but hey, it's something to do.

It's a crying shame that politics actually does have an effect on some things... otherwise, politics would be a very enjoyable comedic relief. The cardinal rule for a senator is: don't take anything seriously, because anything brought before a senate can't be important, because if it were important, it would be brought to some other body -- one that could actually accomplish something, solve a problem, or achieve a goal -- and not a senate. Keep it in perspective, and enjoy the experience. It's a good resume enhancer, because serving on a senate is a little like helping natives in the Sahara shovel sand in the desert: It keeps you busy and lets you see how a totally-alien culture works, even though it accomplishes absolutely nothing useful, helps no one in the long run, and has no long-term impact on anything. Go for it.