Sunday, December 16, 2007

Songs

Know what's interesting? When I write an essay, the introduction and the conclusion are the hardest part, because they explain what the whole essay is generally about. I never had much trouble elaborating on the points in the body of the paper, but summing it up in the introduction and especially the conclusion drove me crazy. It always sounded so lame to me. Now I'm trying to write a song, and it's exactly the opposite. I've got the chorus, which is usually the part that sums up what the song is generally about, but I'm drawing a blank for the rest of the piece.

Funny thing, though. Yesterday, I wrote what I had and thought it sounded okay, but the more I worked with it, the more I hated it until I was on the verge of trashing the whole thing. Today I went back and played it again and thought "Wow! That actually sounds kinda cool." A little simplistic, maybe, but hey, I've never written music before. Not bad for a first attempt.

Now here I am trying to work with it some more, and again, the more I stare at it, the less I like it. Oy. Cliche says I'm too hard on myself. Ya know, I think he's right.

I'll shut up now.

2 comments:

Queen Karana said...

I always wrote the introduction last. First the "body", then the "conclusion" and then the introduction. Much easier that way.

Needless to say, I hated teachers who required us to hand in our introductory paragraph a week or so before the rest of the paper.

dubby said...

I wanna hear!