Saturday, December 1, 2007

Rawr

Writing music sucks. I had finally thought I had made up a song I almost liked. It seemed a little short, but I figured with time, I could add to it and such. Well, today I realized why it was so short. I was playing what felt and sounded good, and that, of course, was taken from another composer. Yeah. I was pretty much playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Only upbeat and with chords. That's not composing.

I helped Rye make a chocolate banana cream cake today. I measured out some water. And successfully smashed an egg yolk I was trying to separate. Mostly I just sat and watched. But at least I was spending time with a friend instead of holed up in my room, I guess.

For some reason, I'm depressed right now. Not sure why. I actually had a pretty good day. I guess I was happy up until ten minutes ago when I tried writing a song again. Maybe I just have a mental block. I think I can't write music, so of course I can't do it. Yeah, that's it. ...No, it's not. I'm not really a musician. Musicians are artists. I'm just a mathematician with good hand-eye coordination. Not that it really matters, I guess....

Meh, I should go to bed before I mope too much. Just figured I'd update for the heck of it because I haven't in a little while.

You know what was awesome today? When I went in to the front desk, there was a Christmas tree. Lights and sparklies and all. It was a plastic tree, but it was still a Christmas tree. And I got to help decorate it with the fuzzy animal keychains we sell in the gift shop. We didn't have a star to put on top (horrors!), so I took a little American flag and stuck it on top. It's a patriotic Christmas tree now!

And I can't believe it's December, and I'm in Alaska, and there's NO SNOW ON THE GROUND!!! What's the deal??? Everyone else is as shocked as I am. They say it's my fault for bringing the warm weather with me. Not fair!

Actually, it gets pretty cold. The other night, I was going to drive somewhere, but my car was so frozen solid that I couldn't get the door open. I ended up opening the trunk and crawling over the seats to turn on the car so it would heat up and thaw out.

Okay, now I really need to get to bed. Toodles!

1 comment:

dubby said...

When you were little, you had absolutely no creativity at all. You thought there was a right and wrong way to "draw a house". But over time you have learned to be one of the most creative people I know. I think you can tap into that same creativity in music if you keep trying. Just because you are a great play monkey doesn't mean there isn't a musician in there. I think you SHOULD start with making variations of other songs you know, then you can branch out from there. Try playing one of the pictures you have made.

I think an American flag at the top of tree is really awesome. Maybe we should do that as well.