Monday, November 26, 2007

Jigsaw

Ooookay so maybe I procrastinated updating for too long... I'm sorry. Please shoot me.

Thanksgiving was great! About half an hour after I woke up, I got a call saying people were starting to gather at the barracks for dinner. I whipped up some crap-in-a-bowl real fast (a dessert I invented. It looks like crap, but it tastes okay, and it only takes about five minutes to make) and headed over. Actually, I didn't. I skipped a part. Actually, I called up Margaret before heading over. Margaret's a lady who's staying here at the resort by herself through January. I figured she was probably lonely, and I have to admit, I kind of miss having human interaction at times too... so I decided we should be friends. Unfortunately, she wasn't feeling well and couldn't come.

So I said good-bye to Maxxy and took my crap-in-a-bowl to the barracks. Dinner wasn't ready yet, but there were a half dozen people hanging out. I got reacquainted with Friend, a girl I met this summer. Her real name is Cassie, but the first time I met her was when I had cut my finger and needed a Band-aid. When she got one for me, I said "Wow, thanks! Let's be friends! You can be my best friend today!" and ever since then, we just call each other Friend. She's working as a park ranger at Exit Glacier this winter (sooo jealous!), but she came for Thanksgiving anyway.

There was a movie playing on the big-screen TV. Nobody seemed to know what it was called, but it seemed to have no plot, and involved just people running around screaming profanities and then shooting each other in the head. Everyone seemed to agree on that point, but it didn't get turned off. Just generally ignored.

Dinner was pretty good. Better than anything I could cook, for sure, but I've never been a huge fan of turkey. And we had everything a traditional Thanksgiving dinner demands: turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy, weird bean stuff, apple cider, and pumpkin pie. I ate so much that I only had room for one slice of pumpkin pie, and that's saying something, because I looooove pumpkin pie.

While we ate, someone popped in the movie Shrek the Third. Everyone actually watched that one. Man, it was funny!! Good movie, especially for a sequel. I highly recommend it.

After the movie was over, I cleaned up my mess and made up a plate of food for Margaret. She was feeling better by the time I brought it over, and she invited me in, but she immediately lay down on the couch to talk from there. We chatted for the better part of two hours, I think, before I left, pleading exhaustion. But I found out she had never done a 3-D jigsaw puzzle before, so I promised to get one and bring it so we could work on it.

So the next day, I drove to the Fish House after work (no, the Fish House doesn't sell fish. It sells pretty much everything else, though) and picked up the Neuschwanstein Castle jigsaw puzzle. 836 pieces. So for the last three days, after work, Margaret and I worked on that puzzle. She spend almost the whole time insisting we were missing pieces and the company was trying to pull a fast one on us, and she was going to write a nasty letter when we put it together and were missing twenty key pieces. Of course, we finished it today, and weren't missing a single piece. She was absolutely thrilled. I guess she won't be writing that nasty letter after all. As it turns out, she's never done a jigsaw puzzle of any kind at all before, which is as shocking to me as hearing someone say they've never ridden a bike. Or read a book for fun. Or eaten a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I guess she was just as shocked to hear that I can't swim, though. Or rather, can swim, but stink at it.

So that's my report. I can't believe how late we stayed up finishing that puzzle! I guess I should pretend to go to bed now... I haven't had nearly enough sleep lately, for sure. So toodles!

3 comments:

Queen Karana said...

I've never eaten a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Ever. At least, not a whole one. Or even half of one. Or even a quarter of one. I have had, thanks to The King, a bite of one. And my life would still be fulfilled had I NEVER had that bite of peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I have, however, made HUNDREDS of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches because my kids like 'em. Go figure.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

If you get the chance, two more movies which are perfect to share with friends are: Meet the Robinsons, and Ratatouille (pronounced, rat-a-TOO-ee). These are both animations by Disney and/or Pixar, and are high-quality entertainment. I'm so happy you are visiting with friends in person. I hope that Margaret is feeling better soon. Keep those pictures a'coming now, y'hear? I'd like a photo of the castle you just finished putting together. It sounds pretty. And hey, how do you go about getting a job as a ranger at the glacier? That sounds more exciting than changing pillowcases. Of course, the pay isn't as good. That's why I'm not the ranger that I set out to be when I was your age... honest.

dubby said...

I've never had a McDonald's burger. Does that count?