Sunday, November 2, 2008

Concerning roommates and cleanliness

You know... I was all excited because for some reason, I was thinking my roommate Amanda was a year younger than I am, which would mean that for the first time ever, I wouldn't be the youngest of all my roommates.

I was wrong. She's older than I am.

Daggumit. I'm never going to have a roommate who's younger than I am. I guess that's okay, though. Even if I did have a younger roommate, she would probably treat me like I was the young one, and that would probably tick me off.

This is pretty great, though. Now that Brooke is gone, even Amanda's starting to be friendly to me. Plus I have the run of the room. I can stay up as late as I want, leave the lights on, and talk to myself while I do my homework.

I'm also either starting to develop OCD tendencies, or I've simply discovered that cleaning is a good way to procrastinate working. For example, on Halloween, I had 150 pages of reading to finish so I could write a paper. After twenty minutes or so of reading the same paragraph over and over and over again, I decided that I wouldn't be able to concentrate with my room being as messy as it was. So I put down the book and cleaned my room. Then I went to the computer to put on some piano music and on came Jon Schmidt, which made me wonder if he had any new songs out. So I went to his website and found that he finally had sheet music out for North Pole Express! So of course, I had to buy that, download it, and print it out. I was going to put it in my music binder, but then I realized that my binder needed to be organized. Badly. So I organized all my piano music: church music alphabetically in a white binder, all other music by category and then title in a blue binder. I finally picked up my book again and still couldn't get more than a few paragraphs into it without spacing out. It's really frustrating when you read the same paragraph sixteen times and still don't know what it says. So I thought that maybe it would help if I studied downstairs because there would be fewer distractions. I went downstairs, and guess what! The kitchen was dirty! And so was the living room!

...Our apartment is remarkably clean now.

3 comments:

dubby said...

Sadly, you won't have boring courses to do when you come home so I won't get my house clean.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Okay, you're ADD, so accept it. Speaking as a professor, it is essential that you apply quality time to your coursework. So here's a suggestion: Get a clean glass, fill it with ice cubes, pour a Coca-Cola (or Dr. Pepper) in it, sip the fizz off the top, and drink it down. A graham cracker with peanut butter, or some vanilla wafers with banana slices, or some other sugar-plus-protein combination might make the Coke go down a bit better. but the Coke or Dr. Pepper is the important part. When the glass is empty, refill and repeat.

After two cans (or two 1/2-liter bottles) you should be good to go. The caffiene will help you concentrate. Always works for me, works for a lot of others too. Worth a try. When I can't concentrate, like when I'm grading papers or exams or essays or something (I've got over 100 students this semester), I keep a glass of coke-over-ice on the table beside my la-z-boy chair to sip every few minutes. I find I can sit here and work for hours at a time that way. Let me know how it works.

Tiffany said...

Catherine! I suppose I should let you know that I'm blogstalking you...thank you facebook. :D Anyways, I totally do the same thing to my piano music, and mostly for the same reason... :) Anyways, hello!