I realized recently that I've been fairly negative lately. "Whine whine, I don't like my professor, I don't feel good, I have too much homework, I'm not learning to juggle fast enough, my classes are boring," et cetera. Especially now with everyone adding their whining about the results of the election to mine, I've decided I'm going to stop whining and start making a conscious effort to be cheery, starting with my blog.
Starting... right...
....NOW!
Okay, want to know something really funny? In my speech class today, we were voting on something. There were 21 kids in the class, and 11 voted yes. One of the engineering majors spoke up and said, "Well, that settles it. We don't even need the other half of the class to vote."
The professor said, "Yep. It's settled. The answer is no."
Of course, this caused an uproar. "Wait, what? But we voted yes!"
"Yeah. Eleven of you voted yes, and there's 21 in the class, so we're not going to do it."
"But there's only ten other students."
It was great. It took almost five solid minutes for the class to convince the teacher that eleven is more than ten.
Also, the sunrise this morning was especially pretty. The nice thing about having really short days is that I can watch the sun rise on my way to class, and watch it set on the way home. This morning was super-neat because when the sun came up from behind the distant mountains, instead of blasting out a bright yellow or orange light too bright to look at, it blasted out hot pink. I wish I'd had my camera on me, although cameras don't tend to do sunrises justice, usually.
In other good news, I cleaned 53 spyware off my computer last night. Good that they're gone, not so good that they were there, but hey, it happens.
By the way, did I ever mention how air-headed I can be at times? The other day, I got halfway to my first class, which is a ten to fifteen minute walk away, before I realized something wasn't quite right. I started digging through my pockets to make sure I had my pens and pencils and identity card... and after a moment, I realized the problem was that I had forgotten my coat.
Good thing it was warm that day: a whole seven degrees ABOVE zero!
Also, I learned a fantastic new word yesterday: exsanguinate. Five points to the first person who can define it without checking another source (other than Rob, because he's the one who taught it to me--he got an automatic ten for that). Another three points if you can give the derivation, again without looking.
EDIT: One other thing. My friend Tiffany, a girl I edited with at Leading Edge back at BYU, keeps this list on her blog of books she plans to read. I thought it was a really neat idea, so I'm making my own. Also, I'm making a list of movies to watch, since I appear to be sadly lacking in that area as well. If you have any suggestions for books or movies, go ahead and spout them at me and I'll add them to my list, in no particular order. Unless I've already seen/read them, in which case, I appreciate the suggestion anyway, and I may watch/read them again if they were really good.
I like fantasy best, followed by science and science fiction. (Yes, I like non-fiction science, as long as it's interestingly written.) Classics are usually okay. I don't like Edgar Allen Poe very much. I avoid most Jesus books if I can (I liked the Chronicles of Narnia, but I read them as stories and didn't try to read into the symbolism). Pretty much, though, I'll try anything but romance as long as it's well-written.
9 comments:
The sad thing is I can actually see you. Standing there amidst a bunch of snow, without a coat... searching. Ever searching. BAhahahahaha!!!!
You don't like Poe? Catherine, we can't be friends any more... :P As for suggestions, if you're open to histories, and you like the Revolutionary War era, David McCauley's John Adams or 1776 are really good. :) And yes indeed, Patricia Wrede FTW! Have you read Sorcery and Cecilia by her and another lady? I recommend it... :)
I just realized it should be David McCullough, not McCauley. *smacks forehead*
I'm gonna guess that it's derived from 'sanguine,' which is either a shade of red and a synonym for 'hot-blooded,' right? Thus, my guess as to its meaning is that it's either 'the act of removing red from something' or else 'the act of mollifying or appeasing the temper of a blood-thirsty berserker warrior.'
Good guess, but no cigar, Cap'n. And Tiffany, you typoed my name (sure, typo can be a verb!): it's Cathryn, but usually I just go by Lint Monkey on the internet.
*smacks self again* Sorry Lint Monkey! (:D) I offer as explanation the fact that I just wrote a paper and did a presentation on Wuthering Heights (which I do not recommend...) where there are multiple Catherines. Sorry!
Exsanguinate... let's see. Sanguine is the red chalk used by a lot of painters, and Desanguination is the old term for blood-letting. So I'll guess that exsanguination probably has something to do with stopping someone's bleeding... from the Latin EX meaning "used to be" or "Was but no longer", and sanguine meaning blood red. Or it could refer to a scab, something that was bleeding but now is stopped, perhaps by scabbing over.
An alternative definition might be to turn something green (to make it EX-red)? Such as letting block of cheese turn green in your refrigerator?
Of course, sanguine also has to do with personality and presentation, generally referring to happy and bright and cheery I believe. So I can see where the "hot-blooded" reference by the Capn came from. But then I read your reply and now I'm questioning my own definition...
Very good guess, Old Man. You're getting closer, but not quite right yet. Of course, by this point, you've probably looked it up, so I guess I may as well write another blog post soon and give the answer.
I just got back and read your blog for several days. My immediate guess was to take all the blood out of something. Of course if it is right, you'll think I looked it up and if I am wrong, I look like an idiot, but perhaps in good company.
Post a Comment