Apologies for not posting for the last few days. I had this book I needed to finish, which I won't tell you the title of because I'm going to put in some nonspecific spoilers. I need to be awake and alert tomorrow, but I opted to finish my book first. So here it is, almost two in the morning, and I just finished it. It was pretty good: exciting, intense, a little too introspective. I would have given it at least a solid B right up until the ending. Now I'm not sure whether to rage furiously or cry hysterically, because honestly, who ends a book by KILLING OFF THEIR MAIN CHARACTER??? Oh my GOSH!!! I mean, yeah, I know the book wasn't intended to have a sequel, but there's such a thing as going too far!!! I actually really LIKED this main character! For once, the author didn't feel it necessary to make the characters perfect all the time. The characters had flaws, and the bad guys were good guys too, because it wasn't a black and white, good and evil type of story. The book did a good job of showing how "bad guys" think they're "good guys," even though it usually isn't a question of "right" and "wrong" so much as how you're looking at the matter.
....and then the main character DIED!!!
What the HECK!!!!
*rant rant whine whine!!!* Main characters CAN'T die! They're immortal! That's how the story is told! Through the main character! I'm using too many exclamation marks in this paragraph! Allow me to take some calming breaths and try to remember where the . key is on my computer!
... ... ...
Ah, much better.
Anyway, where was I? Oh. Yeah. Well, anyway, it threw me off. I didn't want the main character to die. I liked the main character. I could actually relate to this one because of the character flaws. I really dislike books and movies and other stories where the main character is a perfect little victim. Of course, I also dislike books where the main character a total jerk. There's a balance. Must find the balance.
And of course, the danger with reading books that don't follow the traditional form (black and white, good and evil, good guy-bad guy) is that then the author deviates from other traditional forms of storytelling, namely, forms where the main character DOESN'T die a sudden, brutal, horrible death.
Anyway, I need to get some sleep now (yeah right), so this rant is now finished.
Feel free to agree with me. Or make a comment about chipmunks. But don't navigate away from this page without leaving a comment or you'll be the main character in my next story. :P
6 comments:
LOL! :) I like an author who isn't affraid to kill off main characters if it advances the overall story. I'll have to be sure to do that when I write my epic novel.
:) Of course, that would require me to actually "put pen to paper" and get on with it, because most of the thing is written in my head. Heh!
Oh well.
My verification word is "blysonar". I just thought that was interesting. :)
Have you ever read the Song of Ice and Fire books? Evidently the author, George R. R. Martin, is not afraid to kill off any and all characters. I've yet to read the series, but my friends really enjoy it.
I hate it when authors kill off main characters. I don't care if it adds to the versimilitude or whatever--you kill off my main character, and I hate you forever. One of the reasons why I stopped reading the Star Wars books, actually. (Look, my inner nerd shining through!) Out of curiosity, what book was it? Forget about spoilers, I'm just curious.
i am commenting just so i don't have to be the main character in your next story.
Methinks the lady protesteth too much. However, it's nice to see passion for, about and through, reading. Good books are works of art. And seeing you pacing the in back yard yesterday reading your book showed that there still are "books you can't put down". KUTGW. Oh, and good luck with the job interview. Remember, your daddy loves you.
You moved south?! Waaat! Man, they're dropping like flies...Sniffle...And yes- killing characters is awesome, but it does stink when a likeable character dies. Oh yah-if I have to be a dead character in one of your stories pelase do not have me trampled to death by a heard of Lamas. You coming back north anytime soon?
Post a Comment