Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Picture time!

It's three in the morning, and I still feel icky, so it's picture time!!! Luckily for you, I brought my camera to work and got some decent pictures. Nothing great, but it's pretty cool stuff that you don't see too terribly often if you don't live on the ocean.

This is a rhinoceros auklet. He's one of the 71 birds we have here. Kind of cool-looking guy. He's called a "rhinoceros" auklet because he has a horn on his beak. Or bill. He's an alcid, which is a class of birds--the diving birds, which includes puffins. Most birds have hollow bones so they can fly better; diving birds have denser bones for diving. It's really cool watching them swim.


This one, of course, is a puffin. A horned puffin, not a tufted puffin. People think these guys are penguins a lot. It amuses me.


Here's Woody. Not the best picture of him. I spent two hours cleaning the newly-remodeled area outside his tank today, and in that time, every single person who saw him said something to the effect of, "Oh my gosh, he's HUGE!" That was pretty funny too.


These are the girls, Sugar and Kiska. They're about a third the size of Woody, but still pretty sizable. I think somewhere between 400 and 600 pounds.


Sugar walking. Watching sea lions walk is hilarious. They flop their front flippers and then kind of hop because they can't really walk with their back flippers. I should seriously get a video of Woody walking. It's hilarious!


These are the two male harbor seals, Snapper and Tongass. Not a great shot of them. Like Sugar and Kiska, they were enjoying the sunshine today.


The jellies. Not a whole lot else to say about them. They're jellyfish. 'Nuff said.


Weird-looking fish called a rat-tail. Apparently it's pretty rare, but a local fisher caught one and sent it in to us. I found it in research hallway and snapped a picture. Not sure what they're planning to do with it.


When I went outside, I watched an eagle catch a fish, eat it, clean its talons, preen itself a bit... and then I remembered, "Oh yeah, I have my camera on me!"


Here's the building where I work. Kind of a cool-looking building.


And here's part of the view from the back of the building. This is such a beautiful area. I can never get over it.


And just in case those pictures didn't cheer you up...

No comments: