I was talking to the people in upper management at work today. Alice, the really nice HR lady, told me that when she called the resort to interview them before they hired me, the comment she wrote said something to the effect of "he tried, but we succeeded." She told me it was because Mike told them pretty much exactly what I said he would and that she could tell pretty quickly that he was an idiot and she couldn't really believe what he said, especially since everyone else they talked to said exactly the opposite. It pretty much made my day.
Later, I talked to Lloyd's dad, who's the general manager. I thanked him for whatever good words he put in for me that seemed to work, and he asked about the person I punched out at the resort. ....Sorry, WHAT?? "Yeah, when I talked to the guy at the resort, Scott or whoever, he told me that you had punched out one of the foreigners, knocked out her teeth, and called someone a mother-effer like ten times. I told them that's not the Lint Monkey I know, but I kind of want to know what happened." Suddenly, so do I. Seriously, WHAT??? Isn't them saying stuff like that slander or something? Is this going to jeopardize every job I ever apply for?
I think on future job applications, I'm going to say Rye was my supervisor, because he was a fairly good supervisor for three years, and Mike was only my supervisor for two or three months, and a terrible one, at that. But Darryl said SCOTT told him I had punched someone out...? Ugh, this is so annoying! I wish this would just hurry up and disappear into the past and be a bad memory, but it's following me around everywhere!
It didn't really help that today was such a slow day that I spent more time walking around trying to find something to do than actually working. I hate being paid for not doing anything.
Eventually, I went into the bird area and asked the interpreter to teach me how to tell the different kinds of birds. I'm trying to learn as much as I can, because the bulk of my job is wiping down the glass around the fish tanks and sea lion tank and other exhibits, so I'm out in public a lot. I asked Mary if there was some kind of booklet or something I could study to learn it, and she stared at me like I was insane and said, "You want WHAT? Why?? Custodians are supposed to keep their mouths SHUT!" Sigh.
I enjoy wiping down the exhibits, at least. I was wiping down the glass on the underwater viewing for the birds' tank (even though Mary says it's not our job and we don't have time... and yet she couldn't find anything to keep me busy today) and a murre that was swimming around saw the yellow rag I was wiping the glass with and started chasing it. It was cute.
Sorry for the depressing post. I guess I'm a bit frustrated today. At least it's my weekend, so I get to spend the next two days... finding stuff to keep me busy. Which means it won't be too much different than work-days except that I won't be getting paid for it.
I wish I had a piano to play. That would make me feel better.
I hate Mike.
4 comments:
He's exactly the reason most employers no longer give any sort of reference, good or bad, to any potential new employer. His comments, whether true or not, could be the basis of a lawsuit, (and no, I'm not saying you should/could sue) and could get him in to very hot water with upper management.
I still say you should file for unemployment for the time you were unemployed. Mike needs to see some consequences of his actions.
I agree with both, what Mike did was so wrong..
Whoa....Woodcutter Mike?...or one of the yahoos at the resort?...WTH did I miss in the 3 weeks I've been offline?
Post a Comment