Thursday, May 29, 2008

Mistborn

Today was an awesome day again. No particular reason-- well, maybe one particular reason, but I think I'll keep it to myself this time. I'll just tell you it's a political reason. :P

Anyway, I got a new hat today. An Indiana Jones style fedora, to be more specific. I was planning on replacing my faded bleached dirty resort baseball cap with it... but it doesn't breathe very well, so I think I like the ball cap better. But I'm definitely keeping the fedora for my hat collection anyway. And besides, it's stiffer and has a nice... what do you call it? Dip? Where your head goes. So I bet I could use it for some new juggling tricks, with practice.

I finished reading Mistborn for the second time today. Did I mention Brandon Sanderson is an absolutely amazing author? Besides the fact that the stories in his books are awesome and presented in a spectacular way, they're also very insightful and leave you thinking about human nature, society, politics, and religion. Not any specific religion, really, but the way people look at religion in general.

I've never particularly enjoyed practicing religion, personally, (except for the social aspect, I guess) but I've always found it moderately interesting learning about religions from an outside (objective? subjective? I get those words mixed up) point of view. Two of my author favorite authors, (after Sanderson, Wrede, and Coville,) are atheists, but their books still have religious insights. They carry the message that people need something to believe in. Even atheists, I think, believe in something.

I guess I'm not really interested in religion so much as interested in people's interest in religion. Maybe I should have been a psychologist or something. :P

Shutting up now. Toodles!

2 comments:

dubby said...

I was always amazed that at the end of the Coville Trilogy of My Teacher Is an Alien, out of the blue he filled in with deep religious-type thoughts. I think he is more of a "thinker" than committed to any organized religion, but an interesting quote of his: " For I think that the last taboo in children’s books these days, and one that needs desperately to be shattered, is religion. Right now it seems we have two ways of dealing with religion in stories for young people. We either proselytize, primarily in stories published by specifically Christian or Jewish presses, or we pretend that the subject simply does not exist. Mainstream writers hesitate to talk about religion at all for fear of seeming to proselytize.

This leaves a strange void in our books for young readers, and is no more real or sensible than all of us choosing to write stories in which no one has cars."

King Isepik said...

Do Tell!!! :)