We just got back from a week-long vacation to Florida and back, visiting like 14 relatives in the whole trip. And I'm all covered in mud because the moment we pulled into the driveway, I saw a rabbit and jumped out of the car and started chasing it. Except it was raining in Weyers Cave all day long, so I slipped in the mud and fell on my face. Dang it!
Anyway, we started the trip by dropping my little sister off at the airport so she could go back to school. Mom and Dad say she counts as visiting a relative so their count is 15, but I don't think that counts. Anyway, we drove her to Richmond, then drove all the way down to Georgia to visit the two cousins on my dad's side of the family that I haven't seen in around ten years. We only spent about an hour with them, too, which was a little lame. Then we drove a few more hours to somewhere near Atlanta to visit Mom's little sister and their two kids, Forrest and Robyn. Upon learning that Forrest plays both World of Warcraft AND Dungeons & Dragons, I decided I now have a favorite cousin. Anyway, we stayed the night with Aunt Tammy, toured World of Coke, and then drove down to Jacksonville, Florida to visit Dad's parents and his other sister. No cousins there, and we spent most of our time in Florida sitting on Grandma and Grandpa's couch listening to Dad talk. I felt a little bad for not talking much. I'd like to get to know my dad's parents, but it seemed like every time I tried to join in the conversation, I got either ignored, talked over, or interrupted. It was a little boring.
My favorite part was when we were driving home from dinner and I got Grandpa to tell me about his gravity theories. Dad said Grandpa likes physics, especially astronomy, which would be one thing I know we have in common. I was thoroughly surprised, though, by just how much Grandpa came to life when he started talking about his science! I've never heard him talk like that before. Then he started telling me about college and his years working for the post office. It's the most I've ever heard him say at one time, and I thought it was awesome! It was sad when the car ride ended and we went inside and other family members changed the subject, and it was back to sitting on the couch being mostly ignored again.
We also made a quick trip to the beach, since our hotel was only about a fifteen-minute drive away. Mom and I took off our shoes and socks and ran through the sand and splashed in the waves while Dad took pictures. I chased a big flock of seagulls around, just because they were there. Then we picked up some seashells. In all, we were only on the beach about half an hour, so I didn't get sunburned, despite the fact that it was 81 degrees. In JANUARY! That's so wrong!
Then we drove up to Raleigh to visit Mom's mom and brother. Grandma Bliss is one of my favorite relatives because she's so perky and funny. She's really smart, but at times, also unexpectedly completely clueless. For example, today after breakfast, I drove back to the house with Grandma while Mom and Dad checked out of the hotel. While we were waiting, Grandma tried to think of something to do.
Grandma: "Would you like anything to eat? Are you hungry?"
Me: "No thanks, Grandma. We just ate, remember?"
Grandma: "Oh yeah, that's right. Well, would you like anything to drink or something?"
Me: "That's all right, but thank you."
Grandma: "Oh. Well... hm..."
Me: "Hey, Grandma? Any chance I could talk you into a quick game of pool while we wait for Mom and Dad?"
Grandma: "Oh! Yes, of course! Good idea! Yes, we'll play billiards! Yes! But just so you know, I'm terrible at it. Any shot I make is going to be pure luck!"
And with that, she led the way upstairs to the pool table. Grandma's had this pool table since years before I was born. I very rarely saw it used because the parents/aunts/uncles/grandparents never let the kids touch it, afraid we would throw the balls and/or break something. I figure that fear is more or less past now that we're adults, though. And of course, I expected Grandma was being modest about her pool skills. If nothing else, I thought, she's probably nearly as good as I am. (I would call my pool skill about average. Not great, but not bad.)
Well, we got upstairs and Grandma pulled down two pool cues while I racked the balls. I chose one and started to put chalk on the end. Grandma said she had no idea why you would need to chalk it, so I explained that to her as I broke. Then she took her turn, and I was able to analyze her pool skills.
The yellow 1 ball was positioned right by a pocket, but the cue ball was in a position where the shot would be impossible for anyone but the most elite pool shark. Completely ignoring the cue ball, Grandma hit the 1 ball directly and knocked it in. She cheered and asked if that meant she got to go again. I said yes, and she knocked in about a dozen balls, one after the other, without ever once using the cue ball! So I took her hint, hit all the other balls in directly (saving the 8 and cue ball for last), and Grandma declared it a tie. We played a second game exactly the same way, and then I suggested we make the game a little tougher by trying to hit the white ball into the other balls to knock them in. It was awesome! Grandma never did pick up on the concept of solids and stripes, or 8 ball goes in last, but the game was fun, and that's all that matters.
My uncle Jeff (Grandma's youngest son) has recently gotten into some new age stuff that has to do with chakra and auras from crystals. I think it's really interesting (though I'm not about to accept it as a religion), and it was fun hearing Jeff tell me about his rock collection while I tried to fix his computer with a very very very slow dial-up internet connection. As I left, Jeff gave me a small black tourmaline, which is supposed to protect you from curses, psychic attacks, and other negative energy, such as the negative energy given off by computers and cell phones. It's also supposed to help you get over your fears and be more self-confident. I don't believe in the aura and chakra and psychics, but the tourmaline is cool, so I'm going to keep it with me anyway. Maybe it'll bring good luck. Judging from my recent fall into the mud, it's not working so far. ;)
Anyway, it's nice to be home. I love my parents, but they both snore. Loudly. And out of tune with each other. So I'm going to be happy to have my own bedroom back. Well, okay, it's not MINE, but same difference.
5 comments:
How does one TUNE their snoring????
Hmmm... ignored, talked over, and interrupted? I feel ya... ;)
I wish it was only 81 degrees here... it's in the high nineties today.
It's great to find another relative
who can discuss scientific topics on an intellectual level. We'll have to do it again sometime.
Guess who.
Post a Comment