I am so freaking jealous of my oldest brother right now....
Well, shoving that aside...
Work was pretty fun yesterday. We have a new layout editor, and I like her. Of course, she's new, so she didn't talk much except to ask questions. But then, I didn't talk much either when I was new. She's the girl who has always written the news briefs, and is one of the writers that doesn't take me too terribly long to edit, so I approve. :)
We got four letters to the editor this week, and every single one of them was kind of crazy! One of them was someone ripping on two of our state representatives who apparently walked out of federal stimulus negotations. I don't mind when people disagree with viewpoints and stuff, but what ticks me off about politics and current events is that instead of ripping on the view or the action, so many people rip on the politicians/celebrities themselves. The second one was so epic, I thought I would post it here:
Exposing and debunking the "theory of evolution" is only the first step in God's glorious plan to restore His chosen people to preeminence in the Promised Land, America. All white, conservative republican, fundamentalist christians must disavow the secular humanist "bacteria theory" of disease and embrace "Intelligent Medicine." Physical and mental illnesses are caused by demons afflicting the sinful. Illness is cured by prayer, fasting and laying on of hands. Vision problems are cured by spitting in dirt and rubbing the mud in the eyes. All true believers will boycott secular humanist doctors and hospitals and follow the teachings of the true, holy word of God.
(I don't feel bad posting this, because it's appearing in the paper anyway.) The third was a rip on one of our writers. And by a "rip," I mean the guy tore one of her articles to shreds, accused her not only of not knowing what she was talking about, but of actually plagiarizing, and then said that she would be better off "staying in the kitchen and doing the dishes... rather than considering submitting more poorly plagiarized articles on topics she knows nothing about." Ouch! SERIOUS burn! Of course, since the writer was accused of plagiarism, Kortnie did an investigation and added an editor's note at the bottom saying that plagiarism is a very serious accusation in the news business and that the issue had been looked into and the girl was found innocent.
The fourth guy was another religious nut saying that one of the comics last week had been a rip on Jesus, and that if it had been any other religious deity, the dishonor would have called for "violence and destruction," but Jesus died to forgive his mockers. Then he quoted about two-thirds of Isaiah 53 (so it was easy to edit, since I have half of that chapter memorized anyway).
Speaking of religious wackos, there was an older guy who came by juggling practice Friday. He watched for a bit, then started talking to Rob (the only other person there), who wasn't doing anything at the time himself. After a while, I came near to see what they were talking about. The guy asked a bunch of digging questions and asked where we go to find truth and why the news media lies so much and where we want our lives to go and so on. The questions were pretty obviously leading in a religious direction, and so Rob eventually left, saying he was tired and had to be up early. I tried to follow, but the guy kept talking, and unless I'm annoyed, I hate being rude and leaving while someone's still talking. It was then that he started talking about how Jesus is the only truth in the world and blah blah blah. I asked him how he could prove it, since he had been going on about how everything else needed to be proven, and he said that I obviously don't know the scriptures very well, for it promises an answer in the Bible, but I'll have to look for it. I started to quote to him the scriptures I know about proving the truth of the Word and accidentally slipped in one from the Book of Mormon. The guy pounced on it and started going on about how Mormons don't have truth because they use the Book of Mormon instead of the Bible. I pointed out that Mormons DO use the Bible, and then he quickly said, "Yes, but they use the Book of Mormon to define it, and so it's skewed." Then he told me Mormons do the ultimate blasphemy by putting themselves above God. Whether I believe the Mormon church is true or not, I don't like people ripping on it in ignorance. Get your information right or gtfo. So I politely told him he had been misinformed about what the Mormons believe so I was concerned that he may been misinformed about everything else he was talking about as well and excused myself by saying I needed to help Rob put the juggling gear away. And walked away while he was still talking.
The nice thing about BYU is that at least that sort of thing never happened. Everyone was ALREADY Mormon.
In other news....
When I woke up this morning, my face hurt. It kind of felt like I had been balancing a thirty-pound cement block on my face all night. After class, I decided to take a nap and see if that helped, and when I woke up, I had a full-fledged headache, which is gradually getting worse, despite the fact that an hour ago, I actually took some Advil for it. Stupid painkillers. They never work.
It must be because I rejected the word of God. I'm being afflicted by a demon, for I am sinful. Heh.
This post has been brought to you by the word antisyzygy.
4 comments:
I'm sorry your face hurts. I will pray for you. Did you know chocolate is good for headaches? I used to get headaches all the time. Ugh. Very few anymore, now that I grew up (like the last five years). I really think the chiropractor helped. Of course, he was a good Christian...
Oh, dang, he wasn't Christian, he was Mormon. Well, I got better anyway.
As you get older, you'll come to realize that you honestly have no need to wrestle with pigs. It just gets you all muddy and tired, you don't accomplish anything, and some of the pigs actually enjoy it.
And remember, by wrestling with pigs in the mud, you make yourself less attractive to those who don't like dirt.
Letters to the editor are all written by losers who have nothing better to do than write letters to the editor. I occasionally write letters to my elected representatives, but I can't see myself wasting time to write a letter to an editor unless I'm giving constructive advice on what I want changed. Simply complaining, however, is the raison d'etre of people who write letters to the editors. If you're going to publish such complaints (remember, you're under no obligation to publish any of them!), make sure to offset them by publishing some complimentary stuff too. Like Fox, you want to be "fair and balanced", right? Yeah, right. And never, ever, ever, should you, your writers, or anyone else, take personally anything that is written by someone who is writing a letter to the editor! That's the way that mental illnesses get started! Listening to crazy people is a really quick way to get stark raving crazy yourself. I've seen it happen over and over. So watch out.
I like how you start out an entry entitled "Weird People" by talking about your brother. ^^
Also, I like the pig-wrestling quote above a lot! It fits my sentiments exactly. I'm so tired of getting into debates with people who chose the opposite side just so they could argue about something. Jerks! It's like they're baiting me!
Post a Comment