Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Rawr?

It almost looked like this was going to be a perfect semester, but of course, the gods refuse to allow me to have a simple life. Family drama in almost all directions, the largest of which is going to have me take three days off of classes to go to Florida. Missing so much class isn't ideal, but at least I'll get to see family and learn more about my grandpa's astronomy ideas. He's a genius, and he has these amazing ideas and a fascinating way of looking at the world. I only ever saw him really light up and come to life one time, and that was when I got him talking about science.

This will be the first time in three and a half years, I think, that my whole family (mom, dad, brothers, and sister) will be in one place at the same time. At least, I'm hoping so. Apparently, my second brother may not be able to make it. We'll see. Knock on wood. It's really fun having all four of us kids together--it's more awesome than you would know what to do with.

The last two nights have been beautiful. We can see a zillion stars from our cabin, and the aurora has come out and danced across the sky. It was only green, no red or orange or anything, but beautiful nonetheless. I thought at first that it was a cloud, lit up by the moon or something, but while I watched, it swooped slowly across the sky, curling and flaring and dancing and fading and then lighting back up again in another part of the sky, blocking out a few twinkling stars that cheerfully slipped out of sight behind it, knowing their turn to shine would come back after the star of the show had finished its dance.

Hmmm, it feels weird trying to be poetic. I don't think I did a very good job. Oh well. Anyway, it was pretty. I've heard that if the aurora is intense enough and get well away from city sounds, you can hear the aurora sing. The natives used to say it was the spirits playing games or trying to talk to the living.

3 comments:

dubby said...

It was the sky laughing at you, silly girl. Your brothers will BOTH be there!

King Isepik said...

I think you did a fine job of the poetry. :)

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Good poetry is good for the soul. Keep up the good work.