Wednesday, November 18, 2009

happy slurpy noises

My friends Jack and Kitty came to visit yesterday. It was the first time I've had a visitor besides Peter in my cabin. I still don't have any shelves or a desk or table or even a decent bedframe, but I had just barely finished finally installing a clothes rod so I could hang up shirts when they showed up. The first thing they did when they arrived was start cleaning. My house isn't THAT big of a disaster; it looks much worse than it is because of the boxes everywhere. I can't wait to finish getting furniture so I can finish unpacking and make my living environment more comfortable. It's going to look pretty awesome when I finish moving in, I think. Just having a place to hang my clothes has made my loft look twice as good.

I'm still coughing and hacking everywhere, although I feel a little less feverish, finally. I'm sick to death of chicken noodle soup. I hate coughing and hacking all through a class. I feel like it interrupts the teacher and grosses out the people sitting near me. I'm not going to lie--I skipped a few classes mainly because of that. Well, also I don't want to get other people sick.

My dog is grossing me out by making these happy slurpy noises as she licks her butt. Ewwww! Peter makes fun of me because I'm too easy on her. It's true, I kind of spoil her rotten. I want my dog to be my friend, not my slave.

I had to give a report today on an article about the origin of the Navajo language. The author of the article sounded like a pompous snob who was hiding a weak argument behind his admittedly extensive vocabulary. The first line said, "Internal linguistic evidence for inferences as to cultural antecedents..." and it all went downhill from there. My favorite sentence from the article said, "If we could find internal linguistic evidence in Navaho, of cultural implications, tending, as it were, to free Navaho and Navaho culture from their present Southwestern environment, the initial probability of a northern provenience would be strengthened." In English, what that says is, "If we found proof that the Navajo aren't from the southwest, then it would be more likely that they were from the north." Clever, isn't he?

5 comments:

King Isepik said...

...about as clever as a post. :)

Unknown said...

Here,
http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/

I thought this might help you handle your teacher.

dubby said...

Your father is sick. Enough said.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

I'm officially a member of the Flu Man Group.

Regarding your adademic article... just wait until you get to grad school. A good graduate program makes you read hundreds of articles like that. That's the reason why everyone I know who has a Ph.D. has utter contempt for all other Ph.D.'s.

Allen said...

Sounds like the reports I have to read/write for the military. These guys have it down to an art... They can fill dozens of pages without saying ANYTHING.