Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Of coffee, knives, and Card

Interesting how human cravings work. I've heard it said that one of the healthiest ways to eat is to eat whatever you feel like eating because your body knows what it needs better than your brain. You might think, "Well, if I did that, I would eat nothing but chocolate all the time," but it's actually not true. Your body will tell you, "I crave asparagus, I crave oranges, I crave cheesy cauliflower." At least, mine does. And there are times when my brain says, "Ooo, candy bar!" and my body says, "Ugh, not now."

Well, for the last two days, for some weird reason, I've had a craving for those cold Starbucks mocha drink thingies in the little glass bottles. You know, the ones that taste awful because they're coffee and the ones that are horrendously overpriced. But a two-day craving can't be ignored (and no, it's not an addiction, since I never drink coffee and actually can't stand the stuff), so I went ahead and bought some. And yeah, it tastes just as bad as I remembered. Well, it's not BAD, I guess. I think I mentioned the one time I tasted it before that if it weren't for the distinct coffee flavor, it would actually make a pretty good hot chocolate.

In fact, there was a dark chocolate mocha there too that I thought might be worth trying, and that one was actually pretty tasty. I could hardly taste the coffee at all. So now it's eleven at night and I'm all coffeed up and theoretically won't have much trouble staying awake long enough to do my homework assignment that's due tomorrow. Provided I eventually get around to doing it instead of writing in my blog, that is. But I haven't REALLY written for a while, I think, so I might as well.

Juggling club is going great. We've still got several active members, almost all of whom are enthusiastic, eager to learn, and excited to teach.

I'm at Peter's right now, leeching his internet. He's nice to me. He makes me food and lets me use his shower, since I don't have one. Also, he gave me a knife. It's one of those flippy ones where you push a button and it flips open, and then you can slide up a thingy to lock it. Oh yes. Fear my technical terminology. It's a pretty sweet knife, actually. It has this cool angle that makes it ideal for self defense, should I ever need to use it for that. Also, the blade is black. It's a nice addition to my collection. I love knives. :D

My cabin is nice and comfortable. I still need to acquire a computer desk and a few chairs, and I need to put up a rod to hang my clothes from and some bookshelves. Several bookshelves. I have a lot of books. I love books. I'm hopefully getting internet out there this weekend too. Yay!

Stormy likes the place. She's finally starting to get used to the idea that I'll come back when I leave, although she's still clingy enough to make some of us (me and my friends) worry about her. For example, yesterday I left her for twelve hours, and I didn't give her much food before I left because Peter said she would be less likely to poop in the house while I was gone if I didn't give her much food. By the time I got back, I figured she would be starving. She was really excited when I got back, and when I gave her food, she took a few bites, but when I walked away to put the food bag away, she clung to my side like a tick and refused to eat unless I was there beside her the whole time. It's no wonder she's so skinny! She refuses to leave my side when I'm at home, and she hates it when I leave. I guess being alone in that cold, dark, tiny cabin can't be too exciting. Maybe I should get her a friend. Like a cat.

Hmm, what else? I got an A on my Morphology midterm, which is good news. My workload has shrunk to a manageable size for the next week or so, which is also good news, since I'll need the next week or so to finish the moving process. My friend Blake brought me a new book to read. It's called The Memory of Earth, by Orson Scott Card. I like it so far, but then, I'm on page seven, so I can't really judge it very well yet. I read a short story by Orson Scott Card once, and I absolutely loved it. The only other thing I've read by him was Ender's Game, which I wasn't impressed with at all. It took me three tries to get through the book, and when I finally waded my way through it, I put it down thinking, "Okay... now I can understand what people are talking about when they rave about it... but I still can't understand why they do." Maybe I just dislike protagonists with zero personality or something. Maybe I thought the entire thing where his twelveish-year-old siblings take over the world by pretending to be philosophers was retarded. Maybe I thought the book was too violent. Maybe I thought the author did a really lousy job trying to portray a six-year-old super-genius. Actually, it was probably all of the above plus maybe a dozen other reasons. Either way, I wasn't impressed with Ender's Game. I guess we'll see how Memory of Earth is.

Okay. Well, it's way past the time I should have gotten on my homework, so I guess I'll have to wrap this up and not get started on telling you about the boy situation. Pity about that, huh? ;)

Toodles!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Ender's Game, but less for Ender as for other characters. I preferred the Ender's Shadow sequels, which are about Bean rather than Ender. Bean and his cohorts are kind of interesting.

I liked Memory of Earth, too. The later sequels get strange, but the first one is likable. It has some of the best world-building I've found in fantasy lit.

My friends made me read the Mistborn series this summer - I could see it being something you might enjoy.

Allen said...

Let me know if the storyline of Memory of Earth sounds nauseatingly familiar to you... Once I realized that, I lost interest. Just like Seventh Son, also by Card.

Obliviocelot said...

I think I was one of the ones to recommend Mistborn--it's one of my favorite series (although I liked Sanderson's stand-alone, Elantris, even better). And so far, Memory of Earth seems a lot like 1 Nephi. The older two obnoxious jerks make a good Laman and Lemuel, and then the father with his vision is strongly reminiscent of Lehi. If they build a ship and cross the ocean or to another planet, I'm going to crack up. (I'm on chapter 4.)