Last night was my first solo juggling performance. It was a kind of spontaneous decision. I went to the church talent show and decided to bring some juggling stuff and ask whoever was in charge if they had a few minutes for a juggling act. I was so nervous that I dropped stuff way more often than I usually do, but I got a ton of applause anyway. They clapped when I first started juggling, and then again when I started doing different patterns, then again when I dropped a ball and it rolled offstage and I caught it in midair as it fell off the stage (strut strut... it was pure dumb luck). They clapped again when I brought out the clubs, and both clapped and laughed when I started juggling plungers. When I brought out the machetes, they applauded AGAIN, and there were some gasps and cries of, "Are those freaking REAL?" They even clapped when I dropped the machetes and cut my arm! I was so nervous that I forgot to do half my tricks, and I finished with too much time left in the song (I'd had it timed so I could show off my tricks and finish just as my song was ending), so I had to improvise. I grabbed a club, a plunger, and a ball, and started juggling one of each. After my five-minute show was over, I sat down and shook from nerves for about fifteen minutes.
The other acts were good. Many of them were playing-guitar-and-singing acts. There were some really good hula dancers and a few comedy acts (improv, story-telling, stand-up comedy). One guy got into a swimsuit and had two guys hold him up in the air so he could show some swimming techniques. Another guy had a drummer, turned on only the red stage lights and sang a love song in a deep studly voice. It was pretty hot. Someone else did card tricks. A few girls turned off all the lights and danced with flashlights. One girl read some poetry she had written herself. Another guy showed us his spray paint art, which he normally sells for about thirty bucks apiece. I'm sure there were other acts I can't remember now.
Oh yeah! There was also food! Lots of food! Including pumpkin pie! I LOVE pumpkin pie! It's pretty much the manna of all life. I don't know how the world could go on without pumpkin pie. It's the most scrumdiddlyumptiously delectable delight in the solar system. Probably the universe, too. Incidentally, I'm making one tomorrow for Thanksgiving on Thursday, and I've never made one before, so if you happen to know a really good recipe for one, let me know. Otherwise, I'm just googling a recipe.
No comments:
Post a Comment