Monday, November 16, 2009

It's weird being sick

For some reason, when I'm sick, it makes me feel better to take my temperature and see a number over 100. I guess it solidifies my sickness or something. It's like mathematical evidence. "See, you are justified in feeling sick." I've been nasty-sick for a few days, and yesterday got some cheapo thermometer just to justify feeling sick, and it won't even give me a reading as high as 98 yet. Just 96s and 97s. Apparently I'm undersick? What?

The fact that I'm coughing so hard that my gag reflex is kicking in, and I can't sleep because I can't lie down because the fluid goes to my lungs or something and makes me cough more seems to make up for the failed thermometer test. Maybe I'm just putting the thermometer in the wrong orifice.

I'll try my nose next time. Yes.

So yeah. I've been trying to sleep since like eight. It's now 3:30 in the morning. I just got up (again) because I'm coughing too hard to cough lying down. The horizontal position does not allow for enough recoil. So I had to take more Sudafed. And Theraflu. And chicken noodle soup, while I was at it. Then I let the dog out, so I can't go back to bed till she decides to come back. I really need to get a zipline for her or something. Especially given her tendency to chase cars. Stupid animal. I know, I know, I'm a horrible person for not putting her on a leash and taking her for a walk to pee when it's twenty below outside and I'm in my pajamas. It's bad enough having to go outside myself to pee when it's twenty below outside and I'm in my pajamas. No, seriously, have you tried using toilet paper when your fingers are numb with cold? It's weird!

Oh hark! The sound of claws scratching up my front door! Either Stormy's back, or the bears have come out of hibernation due to the sudden epiphany that they'll have to break into my cabin to get to the peanut butter.

Nope, just Stormy. Glad she's back, but I'm a little disappointed, too. The bears would have made a much more interesting story. ;)

1 comment:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

It was a pretty day here today... about 65 degrees, shirtsleeve weather, I got to take a potential faculty candidate on a walking tour of campus.

Our cat never goes outside anymore, even when we leave the door open. She just sits on her chair in the window and looks uncomfortable in her agedness.

I'm feeling kinda bad myself. My temperature is almost 100... uh, just another tenth of a degree and I'll be justified in feeling sick too. Funny what numbers can do for morale. I've been asking around here about the flu vaccine, since I was in Florida with Grandma and Grandpa during the 2- week period when the school offered it free to faculty members, and I didn't get any. Now everyone is sold out. I sure hope I'm not getting the seasonal flu.

Fortunately, I'm too old for the H1N1 swine flu--- they say that old people don't get it because we got a natural immunity from it the first time around back in the 1960's or so. Hope they're right. But ANY kind of flu is sufficient to make me miserable.

Anyway... I hope you get to feeling better soon. Take care of yourself.

Are you perhaps allergic to dog like Bry and me?