Wednesday, April 9, 2008

All stressed out and no one to choke

I guess I'm not really ridiculously stressed out. I don't actually have all that much to get done, and I finally got a day off today. In fact, I get tomorrow off too. And Saturday. And possibly a day or two in between, even. Kind of nice, since I haven't had a day off in thirteen days. But it seems like now everything seems to want to be going wrong.

Sprint still hasn't called back. Of course. I called up the school again to see if they could make some kind of exception to let me take my midterms and finals at the high school. They had my hopes up for a minute, but eventually said no way. I'll call Avtec tomorrow when they're open to see if they have a testing center, but I don't think a technical center is going to have a testing center that BYU will approve.

I took my car over to the boat shop today. Turns out I broke off the catalytic converter. The pipe was really rusted and I snapped the pipe clean through on both sides of the converter. Monty helped me fix it temporarily by putting in some piping, but now I don't have the converter. It's not really essential to let the car run, but I still need to get it fixed as soon as I can. Unfortunately, converters are expensive. The guy down at NAPA said it was between three and five hundred dollars just for the part. At least I won't have to pay them jillions of dollars to put it in--Monty offered to do that for me.

And by the way, Sprint is stupid.

On top of that, now my video card is crapping out on me. Actually, it has been for a while. I updated the drivers, hoping that would fix it, but it's still screwing up. I blew the dust out too. Whenever I do that, it helps... for a few hours. Then the screen starts flickering again, and sometimes I get big gray triangles blanking out half the screen. Today, there were pink lines shooting off in random directions.

And Sprint is stupid.

Anyway... on a happier note, it was really cool watching Monty fix the car. He couldn't get the old converter off because the screws were too rusted to move, so he got out this tool that spun around really really fast and burned right through metal. It flung sparks so far that even when I stood six feet behind the car and he was under the front-ish section, I still got hit by sparks. I was surprised he didn't wear goggles... I would have been scared of glowing, flying bits of metal hitting me in the eyes if I were standing where he was, and I don't generally consider myself to be a scaredy-cat when it comes to that sort of thing.

So I've learned more about cars in the last two weeks or so than I've known in my entire life. About cars, that is.

I tried to do my biology today. Reviewed some lessons, and the first few were cake, but the last one about metabolism made next to no sense. So I tried to go on to cellular respiration, but it made even less sense, I think because it was incorporating some of the stuff I was supposed to have learned about metabolism that I didn't really understand. I don't like biology. I liked it okay in high school, but even then, I was fully aware that I didn't like the subject, I just liked the teacher. Coach Butcher was one of the best teachers I had in high school, and my lab partner, Charlotte, was awesome.

It snowed another six inches-ish today. Apparently it's all my fault. Hehehe, if it were up to me, it would still be snowing in June. Actually, that's not true. I was hoping the snow would clear up sometime so I could go running around the high school track. I feel like a total pansy. By the end of summer, I'm hoping to be able to run a full mile without slowing to a walk at all. I've never actually been able to do that. And knowing me, I still won't be able to by the end of summer. I still can't do a back handspring, which I devoted months to learning two summers ago. Heck, I can't even do a handstand for more than two seconds (that's if I'm lucky).

But that's okay. I'm still young, right? I have plenty of time to learn stuff and do stuff....

3 comments:

dubby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dubby said...

It's okay. You'll get through it all. And all this stress raises your metabolism!

King Isepik said...

"Hang in there, Kitty!" --Seen on a poster

Things have a tendency to look really crappy, just before they get a bit better. Go figure.

You'll be OK, just don't let yourself get too down about it.

BTW, which video card is it? Model and the like.