The King requested his readers write about the most interesting phone phone call they've had in the last few days. I don't honestly get very many phone calls. My piano students periodically call to move/cancel lessons, and Triscuits calls sometimes just to talk. So instead, I guess I'll write about the most interesting phone call I remember getting at work.
This was back when I was a tour guide at Grand Caverns.
Me: Grand Caverns Regional Park, this is Cathryn, how can I help you?
Man: Hi.
Me: ...Hello.
Man: How are you?
Me: Um... I'm doing well. You?
Man: Good, good. What's the weather like up there?
Me: It's... it's sunny out just now. One or two clouds. Maybe sixty degrees.
Man: Ah. Well, expect some rain later today.
Me: Uh... yes sir.
Man: I'm in Roanoke, and it's raining here, heading your way.
Me: I see. Thank you, sir, I'll keep that in mind. Is there anything else I can do for you?
Man: Yes, could you give me a pamphlet?
Me: A... pamphlet....
Man: Yeah, a pamphlet for your park. You know, like a brochure or something.
Me: Um... you want me to give it to you through the phone?
Man: Yeah, you know, like a brochure.
Me: Yes, sir, a pamphlet. How do you want me to get it to you?
Man: Can I have one?
Me: ...Yes sir, please hold on a moment so I can transfer you.
At that point, I covered the mouthpiece, turned to Austen and said, "I don't understand this guy... You talk to him!" and thrust the phone at him. I hate talking on the phone.
That's the best conversation I got. Melissa had a better phone story. See, there's a rock formation in the cave called Jackson's Horse. (I think it was Jackson. It was named for either Stonewall Jackson or George Washington, but I can't remember which now... it's been years...) Apparently, someone called and asked if the horse was still there. "Uh... no sir, he's grazing in the pasture today, we'll bring him back in tomorrow." Another time, I can't remember if it was the same phone call or a different one, someone asked if we "still had stalactites in the cave."
Tourists say the darnedest things.
No comments:
Post a Comment