Sue's computer is so super-slow... Wow. It took like five minutes to load this page....
Anyway, I can't write for too long because there are other people waiting to use the computer. But I still want to tell the story properly. Whine!
So we were cleaning a townhouse this morning and suddenly, the ground started shaking like a herd of moose were running in circles around the townhouse or something. That's what I thought it was for a second, and then the lights started to flicker a little bit and I realized "Oh yeah, earthquake." Anyway, it lasted about thirty or forty seconds before it stopped. Man, I was in an earthquake! That's awesome! Well, it could have been cooler. I mean, the ceiling didn't crash down on us or anything. Rye practically vaulted across the bed and dragged me over to stand in a doorway in case it did. (Apparently, when there's an earthquake, you're supposed to stand in a doorway because the ceiling is less likely to fall on you.)
Well, right after that, the tsunami alarm started sounding. It sounds kind of like a fire engine, but lower and longer, and it holds the top note for a while. I was standing there, kind of paralyzed because I guess I'm practically useless in an emergency situation, I'm ashamed to admit. Sue and Tessie were looking at Rye like "Tell us what to do!" and Beth and Rye said, "Okay, let's go. We have to get out of here." Then the ground started shaking again, but not as bad this time. Secondary earthquake or something, I guess. (I really should study up on my geology more.) It didn't last very long either. Anyway, I finally kicked myself awake and we headed out the door.
We decided to pile all five of us into my car because, well, my car can fit five people, Rye's can only fit two or three unless we cram them in the bed of the pickup, and Beth, Sue, and Tessie don't have cars. So I was driving out of town (there's only one road that leads out of town) and the traffic was absolutely horrible. Go figure. I hate driving in heavy traffic. We drove all the way to Moose Pass, where Sue lives, and she agreed to let all of us stay there for a few days. It was great, though. I was terrified, and the whole time I was driving, I was muttering, "Please don't let there be an avalanche, please don't let there be an avalanche, please don't let there be an avalanche." Rye was trying to talk to me slowly and calmly, the way you would to a terrified animal. Actually, he's pretty good at that. Everyone else in the back seat was being super quiet.
Beth says I don't need to write every little detail. She's waiting for her turn at the computer and she's anxious because she hasn't heard from her mom yet. Anyway, I don't have my phone with me, and I'm not really sure how long we'll be in Moose Pass before they decide it's safe to let people back into Seward. I'll try to check e-mail periodically, but I thought I'd let you all know we're all okay. I'll let you know if I die. Haha.
Toodles!
6 comments:
lol .. be safe!
Earthquakes are cool as long as they aren't destructive >_> soo talk to you later :o
Good story Catherine! You left out the part where stuff caught on fire and the tank farms started blowing up though. Was really awesome!
LOL! April Fools! You are a great story teller. :)
Sorry about misspelling your name!Do you have a instant messenger address or something?
OMG....... I am an idiot
ps
I never know what to believe now, you and rye are punks >_> pffff haha
Post a Comment