Saturday, June 28, 2008

Ingenuous != Ingenious

Wow, I'm so proud of today's run. And I'm so ticked off at myself, because I forgot to bring my watch, so I couldn't time it! I'm almost positive, though, that I beat my last time by at least a minute! A lot less walking today, and afterwards, I had enough energy that I was able to jog halfway home. (The last half, of course... I did need to catch my breath, after all.)

I woke up this morning in a really grouchy mood. Again. I guess I've been running short on patience lately. Anyway, I was tired and grumpy, and my head hurt, and my voice was only working intermittently all the way until lunch. Then I went home and started digging through my fridge and found a double-size Monster Khaos energy drink we found in a room about six months ago. Rye had given it to me, telling me to give it to my piano students right before their parents came to pick them up. Of course, I never did, so it was still sitting in my fridge, waiting for an opportunity to be consumed. Well, I was feeling pretty miserable, and I was still half-asleep, and it was noon, so I drank it for lunch. Technically two servings, but meh.

Apparently, I was very funny. I didn't really feel any more energetic, and I couldn't even sense the "buzz" people talk about. But even I could tell that I was talking a lot more and making a lot less sense. I acted like a talkative drunk, including tripping on the steps and making really stupid jokes and giggling hysterically at them. Well, at least everyone was amused. And I felt quite a bit more cheerful.

I'm pretty sure it was wearing off by the time work ended. I never did feel the crash people say you get when you come off a sugar high (or caffeine, or whatever it is). Actually, this is the third time I've had an energy drink, and I've never crashed afterwards. Maybe I just never had enough! Yeah, that's it! Next time, I'll drink twice as much! (That was a joke, by the way.)

Anywho, afterwards, I went to the Packs' house. Cindy agreed to feed me dinner and cut my hair in return for my watching the kids Thursday and Friday. It was an interesting evening.... They'd bought a wood stove in Anchorage, so Rob and his brother (whose name escapes me) were installing it. There was stuff scattered all over the living room and kitchen, dust, stone tiles, mortar, and various other little bits of things everywhere. Cindy had bought pizza, and we didn't even actually eat an organized meal. I ate sitting on the couch, trying to keep the dogs from stealing my pizza from off my plate, while Kamryn begged me to come to her room and watch her turn somersaults and Noah sat behind me, sticking his feet in my face while I tried to eat.

Kamryn and Noah's cousins, Rhett and Sequoia, were there too. Rhett stole my hat and ran outside and we ended up having a full-fledged six-way war in the yard. By the way, the entire yard is nothing but gravel. And by gravel, I mean rocks ranging in size from your typical gravel-size rock to rocks the size of basketballs. Of course, Kamryn and Noah ended up picking up the rocks and throwing them, and I had to pull Noah and Sequoia off the roof of my car. But it was still fun. Even Kodie joined in, trying to bite my kneecaps off while I wrestled Rhett to the ground for the fourteenth time. Unfortunately, I fell too hard one time and managed to rip a hole in yet another pair of pants. Blarg! Oh, I ripped a hole in my knee too, but that one mends itself, so I don't worry about it too much.

So after Rhett and Sequoia left, we went inside, waiting for Cindy to get off the phone so she could trim my hair. I picked Noah up and he grabbed my chest, squeezed, and said, "Hey, is that a boob?"

I just about died! And his daddy gave him such a glare! Mwaha!

So then I got Noah talking about the wood stove. I asked him if he knew why the pipe went up into the ceiling, and he said that was how Santa got in.

"But Santa Claus is so fat! How do you think he fits in there?"

"He cuts his head open!"

"He does? That must hurt. Do his reindeer fix his head afterwards?"

"No. He comes into the house and then I cut his head open too with my baseball bat and he bleeds!"

What... a strange... kid....

Oh man... the best part of baby-sitting the kids on Friday, by the way, was when we were playing Red Light Green Light. Kamryn was calling the lights, so she stood against one wall, and Noah picked up a toy and stood against the other wall. "Green light!" Kamryn yelled, and then ran down the hall shrieking as Noah revved the toy chainsaw and chased her down the hall, yelling like a madman!

Anyway, Cindy did a great job trimming my hair! Even I can't tell it was cut except that it's soft all the way to the ends again, instead of the last two inches feeling like straw. Yeah... I know... I got two inches of hair cut off and can't tell a difference. What can I say? Guess I am my daddy's daughter after all. Mwaha!

That's all for now. Sleepytime for the Lint Monkey. Toodles!

This post has been brought to you by the word ingenuous.

5 comments:

Auntie C said...

Yeah!...uh...What a...um...strange little boy, indeed!:)

dubby said...

Send a picture with the haircut and a picture of the kids.

Terrace said...

lol! what a little perv :P



And yes, picture of haircut! :D

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

I had lunch today with a professor from University of Alaska at Fairbanks. He gave me his card, and said once you get on campus, you should stop in sometime and introduce yourself and he'll be happy to answer any questions you have about the area, the college, etc. and best of all, he said he'd be happy to 'go to bat' for you when you run into the inevitable problems and hassles with the various administrative systems every university has which frustrate students. I'll get you his name and office number by email. He's an accounting prof, a little older than me, and his kids are a little older than you, I believe.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Question: Did you receive the ham radio study manuals we sent you?