Friday, June 20, 2008

Joyeux!

Searching for housing for this fall is weird. I'm a coward and don't want to get the required shots to live on campus, so I'm looking for roommates off campus. It hadn't occurred to me that guys and girls could and would be housing together. Not like sharing a bedroom, necessarily, but apparently it's not a big deal when guys and girls share a house or apartment. This concept is a little bit different for me, and I'm trying to decide whether or not I have a moral problem with it. I mean, as long as the guys are respectful enough to stay out of my pants, it wouldn't be too different from having brothers, I guess. I do know I'd be a bit uncomfortable having only one roommate, and having said roommate be male. ...But wow, in Utah, any housing over 300 dollars a month seemed expensive. In Fairbanks, 600 a month seems cheap.

Rye and Tomtom and I went to Anchorage today. I found a pair of sunglasses designed to fit over prescription glasses that actually looks only slightly retarded! I'm pretty excited, because I haven't worn sunglasses since I was about twelve. If I had contacts, I would probably never take sunglasses off. I don't exactly have beautiful eyes, and anyway, sunglasses are cool. And maybe I would seem a bit less awkward if people couldn't see my eyes darting around nervously all the time or the blank expression on my face when people mention things like Adam Sandler and James Earl Jones. According to Emmelie, I'm just a generally awkward-seeming person. That's depressingly accurate, too. Boo.

We were in Bed Bath and Beyond today, and I saw an oven mitt. It was a rubbery one that was curled so you kind of made a duck with your hands to use it. The first time my sister and I went into a Bed Bath and Beyond, we drove Mom nuts by saying "Oven mitt!" and opening and closing our hands like we were wearing the oven mitt. So I reminisced a little, and then our song came on the radio. "Gimme the beat, boys, and free my soul, I wanna get lost in rock and roll and drift away!"

Ha, I miss my sister sometimes. Even if she is boy-crazy.

I actually miss Katy and Tom and Rusty a lot lately, too. Emmelie has a few habits that remind me forcibly of Rusty sometimes. For example, she uses the phrase "That makes my heart smile!" and she calls me "dear," just like Rusty used to. She's also almost constantly happy, like Rusty, and she's an actor. Like Rusty. If he were here, Rusty would adore her. I keep expecting to hear the echoing "Joyeux!" whenever I say "Joyous!!!"

I guess what I miss the most is people who would be entertained by my stories instead of shrugging them off as insignificant or topping them. For example, the other day, I caught a fly from midair with a pair of tweezers. It was amazing, and made an awesome story! But it seems like everyone around here that I tell the story to just goes, "That's nice." Le sigh. I used to think I was a pretty good storyteller.

Hm, I guess I'm moping now. Ah well, I'll shut up, then. Toodles! Today's post has been brought to you by the word joyeux. That's French. It means joyous.

5 comments:

Terrace said...

Hey, I really like your stories!
So, no excuse :P



And no moping! We can't both be mopy in the same day, the world will throw off balance remember? pff


Feel better :P




and thanks for the omglolkittensmewmewmewmewmewmewmewmew :P lol!

Dianna said...

lol. boy crazy? why in the world would you think that? the number of dates i've been on i can still count on one hand.... haha, but i miss you too sister!

Auntie C said...

Hi there! Remember me?...Don't answer that!:)

I've always liked your stories, and look forward to hearing more of them! I say "BLAH!" to people that don't want to hear them.

uh...Tell Dianna you don't have to have gone on a million dates to be boy crazy! I used to be just like her at 18. I'd only had one date, but I still thought guys were...um...quite interesting!

Auntie C
(Back by unpopular demand! tee-hee!)

dubby said...

The fly story is a little over the top and *guilty* I didn't want to hear the details on that. But I love most of your stories and your blog posts.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

The Wolnatie was co-ed, remember? But yeah, having a roommate is a little different than having the guys in the same building or floor. And be sure to ask Dianna to share with you my "hormone" lecture. I can't remember if I've given it to you or not, but I'll be happy to give you another dose, absolutely free, if you like. It's not as interesting as one of my stories, but definitely a lot more useful and practical.