Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Quantum physics

If my ten-year-old self could see me right now, I would be so disappointed. I went to the library today and didn't even bother looking at any fantasy books. Lately, I've been gravitating more and more to the non-fiction section. Everything from physics to philosophy. Mostly physics, though. I guess Rye's babble about things like the string theory and the fourth dimension has rubbed off on me. That and an insane curiosity about quantum physics, which makes no sense from the little I understand of it. I don't see how it can be so widely accepted given how ridiculous it sounds. "Schrödinger's cat is both alive and dead at the same time" indeed....

Today I managed to come across a book called A Brief History of Time, which may be a familiar title to some of you. Apparently it's a fairly well-known book. It's about time and space and a bunch of other things people don't actually understand but try to write books about anyway. I also got The Bible According to Einstein, which looks both informative and highly amusing. "In the beginning was the reflex." Teehee. I'll let you know how that one turns out.

When I was ten, if you'd told me any book besides a fantasy book could be interesting or funny, I would have thought you were crazy.

Oh well. C'est la vie. Or however you spell it.

4 comments:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Truth is stranger than fiction. And a lot more entertaining. The Creator is a master writer, and his stuff is a lot more interesting, entertaining, and enjoyable that most of what Man can come up with. No offense intended to aspiring writers. But nature and the natural universe, whether biosphere, atmosphere, marine environment, geology, cosmology, astronomy, or physics, is fascinating. I hope you enjoy the ham radio book... it touches on physics a little. The word picture below spells "ecoli", which is a latin name for a nasty microscopic bug in case you aren't familiar with it. Do you know what the E stands for? I do.

Obliviocelot said...

Escherichia

Terrace said...

quantum physics is pretty messed up :P

Why would the basic law of physics apply to the entire universe, which is so big it encompasses everything "infinitely".. Except inside atoms, doesn't make sense does it ;)

Two things being at same place at once, maybe our perception is it at 2 places but it isn't really. Oh well.. not going to get into this ;P


I don't know much about string theory like.. everything is connected together with.. string like things smaller then atoms?
Kinda interesting, well.. blah blah blah I'm done ^^;

Terrace said...

I mean... I am a toaster.